Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 04:29 PM

Default The Amish know forgiveness

Even if you're not religious, you still have to respect this kind of forgiveness and courage
Old 10-05-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: The Amish know forgiveness

These people are incredible. I really want to go visit Lancaster now (Lancaster, PA, not Lancaster, CA. No one wants to visit Lancaster, CA).
Old 10-05-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These people are incredible. I really want to go visit Lancaster now (Lancaster, PA, not Lancaster, CA. No one wants to visit Lancaster, CA).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing to see or do in Lancaster, PA. Also, the Amish do not like to be gawked at, would you?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, believe me you don't want to visit. The novelty wears off in like 5 mins. After that, you realize you are just in another farm area.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Ok, maybe I'll just go visit Lancaster, CA and stare at the trailers and pretend they're barns.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:13 PM

not necessarily a good thing. There have been several high profile cases of child abuse and molestation within the Amish community lately. These problems are exacerbated by their tendency to resolve conflicts internally without going to the police, and many of the people that commit these crimes end up getting very light punishments - they forgive them easily - and they become chronic abusers.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not necessarily a good thing. There have been several high profile cases of child abuse and molestation within the Amish community lately. These problems are exacerbated by their tendency to resolve conflicts internally without going to the police, and many of the people that commit these crimes end up getting very light punishments - they forgive them easily - and they become chronic abusers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good is subjective. Nevertheless, you still have to respect them for 'walking the walk' when it comes to their belief. If I was a parent, or even a relative of those little girls I'm not sure I could bring myself to forgive the gunman no matter how religious I may be.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:25 PM

I've always respected the way the Amish don't force their kids to follow the lifestyle/religion. They set them free at 18 or something and the kids usually go wild for a year, then it's up to them to move back in and follow the faith or leave for the secular world.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, maybe I'll just go visit Lancaster, CA and stare at the trailers and pretend they're barns.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go. And don't forget to turn off anything electrical.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say they lead a more enlightened life than we do necessarily, but we could always learn a thing or two from other cultures/religons. That being said, there's usually an aspect of "damn maybe we took this too far" that we should try to avoid... like forgiving child molestors and letting them abuse again.