Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Making OOT better through bannings...

This bumping:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Should lead to a banning. This topic was discussed in the "looking for a new mod" thread. El D agreed with the principle in that thread, though NT! never commented. Please, the bumping of months-old dead threads must end. Send a decisive, public message that this stuff must end. Clearly the thread shouldn't be locked - it's a classic. Clearly the bumper should be banned.

Also, girl threads are nore commonly being started by people with less than 50 posts (a couple are on the front page right now). THESE SHOULD LEAD TO BANNINGS! This is because: 1) there is a high probability that these are simply troll posts (this is nosnos's #1 tactic), 2) they are generally stupid and redundant, 3) there should be a zero tolerance level for people with less than 50-100 posts. If someone's been around, I can see cutting them some slack. But new posters, imo, need to earn the right to make crappy threads. These guys are not doing that. Set the example, ban them. Finally, 4) wtf are these people here for? This is not a relationship website, it's a poker website. Even I, OOT poster, cut my teeth in the strategy forums. I've reverted to primarily being a lurker on those forums, but I still know that that's what the site's about. People who show up and just go to OOT and post about the fact that they can't get a girl to kiss them should not be encouraged to be here.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

I post because I care. I care because I'm bored.

-bb.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Making OOT better through bannings...

I think that you should have >800 posts before you can complain and start telling mods how to run forums...

Vava
Old 10-05-2006, 11:12 AM

i didn't see the post about pointless bumps in the mod thread that i recall, but i agree that this practice is tearing apart the moral fiber of our society and i will be attaching a rider to some must-pass legislation to put an end to it shortly
Old 10-05-2006, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that you should have >800 posts before you can complain and start telling mods how to run forums...

Vava

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, did you say something? I was staring at your cleavage.

-bb.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't see the post about pointless bumps in the mod thread that i recall, but i agree that this practice is tearing apart the moral fiber of our society and i will be attaching a rider to some must-pass legislation to put an end to it shortly

[/ QUOTE ]

Here.

Glad to hear you're going to take action. Good man.

-bb.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Vava

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, more than 800 posts sounds about right.

Obviously, NT! needs some advice from me for example, since he keeps begging me to come on over to OOT and post more.

He knows where he can good advice. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Vava

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, more than 800 posts sounds about right.

Obviously, NT! needs some advice from me for example, since he keeps begging me to come on over to OOT and post more.

He knows where he can good advice. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

people can have however many posts they want, it is highly unlikely that i will listen to most of what they say anyway. mostly i need people to notify me of crappy posts that i miss while i am outside experiencing strange and pleasant things like sunlight, food, etc.

i just think OOT is the place for BGC, i dunno if Politics posters are up to his level... we are very sophisticated in OOT
Old 10-05-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This bumping:

bump

Should lead to a banning.

[/ QUOTE ]I want to publicly thank the bumper for bringing to my unwarranted, atrabilious and irrevocable attention the story of how Dominic had sex with Jenna Jameson. And I want to thank you for the assist.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This bumping:

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't agree with your argument that most bumps should earn a ban. Primarily because some of them are great threads that I missed the first go-round. Additionally, they often generate new rounds of discussion, but often they just sink back down to the bottom. Pretty harmless stuff.

In this instance though I wouldn't shed a tear if the poster is bounced because he bumped a thread to give a pointless single word response - which he misspelled.

Unrelated - how the hell do people find some of these threads? Recently someone bumped a year-old geography one. How does someone stumble across that?

Also, regarding your distaste for threads about girls/women, bear in mind that a large portion of the classic threads (at least in the time I've been here, and Chuddo and others I'm sure before that) have revolved around guys' ineptitude with women. Severely curbing that would probably do the forum a lot more harm than good.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This bumping:

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't agree with your argument that most bumps should earn a ban. Primarily because some of them are great threads that I missed the first go-round. Additionally, they often generate new rounds of discussion, but often they just sink back down to the bottom. Pretty harmless stuff.

In this instance though I wouldn't shed a tear if the poster is bounced because he bumped a thread to give a pointless single word response - which he misspelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
should result in an immediate banning, as should no-content bumping of month-old (or more) dead threads:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...=1&fpart=4

-bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

was what I wrote in the original looking for a new mod thread.

If more discussion shows up, fine, but 1) usually it doesn't, and 2) those who've read the forum consistently for any length of time will check those classic threads thinking it's a cool update or something, and find that it's not (almost never). Therefore, this kind of stuff punishes the long-term participants/readers in the board and as such should lead to a banning. I mean, someone trollishly did a crap bump to the oat-carrying thread today (someone with very few posts who was probably doing it just to be annoying, possibly nosnos). If additional discussion comes from it, great. Most of the time, it doesn't. Bumping with a reason - adding more content, an update, etc., is great, imo. Bumping with a one word "wowzers!!11!1!!1!!!!" response sucks. SUCKS. And should lead to a banning.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, regarding your distaste for threads about girls/women, bear in mind that a large portion of the classic threads (at least in the time I've been here, and Chuddo and others I'm sure before that) have revolved around guys' ineptitude with women. Severely curbing that would probably do the forum a lot more harm than good.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no no, I do not dislike threads about women. I dislike BAD girl/relationship/etc. threads. And, due to the popularity of the subject matter (and the average guy's problem set with women), there are a LOT of them.

Now, what's good and what's bad? This is obviously a judgement call, and was where [censored] really shined. I mean, he started the greatest thread in the history of the internet (banging chicks from myspace), which was a girl/women thread. The reason why I brought up the post count thing is that there is a serious correlation between low post counts and crappy girl threads. But the content should really be the key.

This is why, for instance, I thought Sekrah was good. He himself was clearly a scumbag. A terrible human being. But his threads were also VERY popular in terms of views and posts because they had all the earmarks of a good relationship thread, such as gory details, REAL drama, (often brutal) honesty, and pictures. See also: brian in the myspace thread, etc. Crappy relationships lack all or most of these things.

The BAD threads are the ones I'm talking about. And they are such a problem that I think they and their creators need to be crushed and made an example of. It is my firm opinion that more bannings lead to less star-ings.

-bb.