Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 PM

Default min raising?

Why is min-raising and more importantly, min-reraising always considered bad in NLHE? I don't understand the logic/reasoning behind this.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:34 PM

Default Re: min raising?

As always, it depends on the situation.

early or middle position, mediocre hand, minraise... maybe you steal the pot maybe you get called and you dont have too much invested. At least, thats the thought behind using a minraise here. It is poor play, as you are not really pricing anyone out of the hand, are susceptible to a strong raise stealing yours. If your logic is that then you can disquise good hands with the same min raise, again with the good hands, you will not price someone out of a draw with the minimum raise, and yet you are also not maximizing the value. If you have a made hand a bet that is larger will bring more to the pot. Now min-reraising is not "always bad" by any stretch, I am quite quite sure that there are extremely good players and professionals that will min-re-raise the nuts, and also ones that will min-re-raise on a bluff (postoak or whatever)... I guess logic that says it is bad to minreraise is likely again that you are not properly getting value. you will get re-raised all in mainly by hands that beat you unless you have the nuts, in which case you are definitely not maximizing the value you can make. As for a minraise as like a continuation bet, I defintely see it used an in particular in heads up play. It is not a terrible strategy, although i think most math will tend to show that third pot to half pot sized bets are a better continuation size, to properly extract value from good hands, make a clean decision point to get away from bad ones, and properly price drawing hands against you.

Just some rambling

4card
Old 10-04-2006, 06:03 PM

You give people proper odds to draw, and don't get maximum value out of good hands.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is min-raising and more importantly, min-reraising always considered bad in NLHE? I don't understand the logic/reasoning behind this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't *always* bad, just most of the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] One place I like to use it that comes up from time to time is when I have a very strong hand and my opponent (and hopefully not myself) has a stack not too large compared to the size of the pot. A min-raise can look easy to call for my opponent while actually committing them to calling the rest of their chips on the turn or river.

But as another poster stated, you are typically just giving proper odds or failing to get full value for your hand. Or if you're doing it with a ~eh~ type hand as many players do, you're just putting in more money that you have to with a hand that likely is or will be beaten.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:19 AM

I only use minraises in two situations, and even if those situations arise I use them very sparingly:

1) I'm in position and I've got a fairly good hand but not sure if it is best on the turn. I'll minraise villain's turn bet and hope for a free showdown. This typically is a bit cheaper than calling villains bets on turn and river.
The flipside is, if villain bets the river, too, I have to fold since I'm not prepared to pay more for the showdown.

2) I'm out of position on the turn and playing against a thinking 2p2er. A check/minraise will scare the living daylight out of him/her.
Your following bet on the river should take down the pot a vast majority of the time if you didn't make him/her fold on the turn already.
The flipside: If the 2p2er has a solid hand you'll be paying a lot for trying to play fancy.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:37 AM

With a raise you typically want to cut down the odds for people on draws. To cut them down sufficiently to make drawing unprofitable you typically have to make bets around the pot size. A min-bet or min-raise usually is too small for that.

Plus, you don't get enough value with your good hands.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 PM

I will occasionally min-raise in cash games. This way there is a little more money in the pot and if I hit my set I might be paid a little extra. Usally I am first to enter the pot from mid position.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the replies all - I of course agree with you that a typical cbet should be 2/3 - 3/4 of a pot to push off draws, i was just confused because it seemed on the microlimits forums as though anytime someone made a min raise or reraise it was viewed as an instant "fish" alert.

For example, here is a rather common situation where I question whether a min-reraise is "horrible""

You are in the BB against a LAG in the SB who limps in against you - both checked to the flop (pot size 2xBB), and the LAG pots the flop. You have mid pair and think he's whiffed, so you want to reraise him since you have something but putting a 6xBB bet to semi-bluff a 4xBB pot seems kind of ridiculous - in this case wouldn't a 4xBB bet (making it a min-reraise) be more reasonable?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies all - I of course agree with you that a typical cbet should be 2/3 - 3/4 of a pot to push off draws, i was just confused because it seemed on the microlimits forums as though anytime someone made a min raise or reraise it was viewed as an instant "fish" alert.

For example, here is a rather common situation where I question whether a min-reraise is "horrible""

You are in the BB against a LAG in the SB who limps in against you - both checked to the flop (pot size 2xBB), and the LAG pots the flop. You have mid pair and think he's whiffed, so you want to reraise him since you have something but putting a 6xBB bet to semi-bluff a 4xBB pot seems kind of ridiculous - in this case wouldn't a 4xBB bet (making it a min-reraise) be more reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Call and let him bet again. Also note if you do raise, it is not a semi-bluff since you think you are ahead and don't have much of a chance to improve your hand. You are raising for value / to protect your hand and as such you should bet enough to either get some value or make your opponent fold.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I of course agree with you that a typical cbet should be 2/3 - 3/4 of a pot to push off draws

[/ QUOTE ]
No. You don't want to push off draws. It's very important to understand that. You want them to call. After all, paying too much when drawing is a mistake for villain, unless he gets paid off when he hits.
But this also means that you must not pay off when the chaser hits. Let the pot go if you think he hit his draw.
It sucks, and it happpens often (1 out of 3 times), but try to never pay off.