Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 04:15 PM

Default Help - I\'m out of position and don\'t know what to do

I can play the easy hands OK - but marginal hands out of position do my head in, any tips on how to cope generally would be much appreciated, as would comments on my play in the following hand or villain's ranges at each stage.

£10 - 400+runners - approaching the money

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: 200/400 ante: 50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $8162.50
UTG+1: $2035
MP1: $8525
MP2: $7985
MP3: $3455
CO: $1882
Button: $7611.50
SB: $13011.50
hero: $10155

Pre-flop: (9 players) hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls $400, 2 folds, Button calls $400 , SB calls $200, hero checks.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($2050, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">hero bets $1200</font>, MP2 calls $1200, 2 folds.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($4450, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets $2000</font>, MP2 calls $2000.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($8450, 2 players)
hero ???
Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Help - I\'m out of position and don\'t know what to do

check to him and see how much he bets if he calls, the make a decision
Old 10-04-2006, 04:23 PM

Flop is fine. Check/evaluate turn. As played, check/evaluate (probably call) river, MP could have a middle pair often enough on this board to probably merit calling any size bet since he's fairly short-stacked.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:23 PM

I think you put in too much money in this pot out of position. Unfortunately, it's check-fold time.

I don't mind the flop bet to try to pick it up, but I think you should have checked the turn with the intentions of folding to a large bet there.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is fine. Check/evaluate turn. As played, check/evaluate (probably call) river, MP could have a middle pair often enough on this board to probably merit calling any size bet since he's fairly short-stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if villain puts in his remaining 4K+ into that pot on the river, a call would be spewing (although with pot odds this is why hero put himself in bad shape with the 2k bet on the turn). I think villain checks behind with his middle pair quite often. If the river wasn't a spade then I might be more inclined to call hoping to pick off his busted flush draw.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM

I am assuming the BB is 400...w/out a read I assign villain a pretty wide range for limping and KTo is a slight dog-coinflip against that range. As played I c/c the turn and probably c/f the river.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM

didn't want to let him have a free card on the turn so felt i had to bet - was i wrong to worry about a flush draw?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 PM

yeah 200/400 blinds - it reads properly now
Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if villain puts in his remaining 4K+ into that pot on the river, a call would be spewing (although with pot odds this is why hero put himself in bad shape with the 2k bet on the turn). I think villain checks behind with his middle pair quite often. If the river wasn't a spade then I might be more inclined to call hoping to pick off his busted flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if he pushes, it's like, 3:1 pot odds? Question is whether or not Villain pushes a hand we're beating that often. I dunno. It's close. Maybe calling a push is spewing, but it's not horrible with the pot odds and the fact that a desperate opponent could bluff at this river with a fairly wide range since he should still have some FE against Hero here.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:46 PM

One alternative line here is check/calling the flop, then check-raising the turn. You'll possibly get hands like KJ or KQ to fold, as you'll be representing a 2 (and you could have anything being the BB here). The only hands to really be afraid of are 22 and 33, right? And if he checks behind on turn, you value bet or in this case, maybe check/call or check/fold the river if you think he made his flush.