Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Time to have our voices heard - Criticism of the PPA

I don't know about anyone else in this forum, but I am extremely frustrated over this most recent legislation passed by OUR congress. The reasons for this are not just directed at the government however. We as players are as much to blame for this as anyone on Capitol Hill.

By taking a See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil attitude towards online gaming we have allowed the government to make the first move. What is more frustrating then our lack of aggression in doing some type of preemptive action,is our delay in putting together a strong, immediate response that sends a signal that these types of actions by the government will not be tolerated and we will fight against this until changes are made. Reaction has been limited to complaining on forums and everyone trying to figure out how to circumvent the law instead of changing it. People seem to be content with being pushed underground instead of using the power of numbers to try and initiate a meaningful resolution to this.

This lack of response is largely the fault of the PPA however. This organization claims to represent the poker community thru its membership base and government lobbying, but yet how many of the members actually know who the President is or can name a person on the Board of Directors?And who determined how those people were put in that position?

By taking up the interest of the poker players here in the US but not allowing those same people to have any voice in the decision-making process they continue to miss out on a golden opportunity to be the leading force that results in regulation of the online gaming industry. They would like to have a million members but how do they expect this to happen if the only influence members have is to give some money to people that they had no say in being put in that position and no way of knowing how that money is being used.

If you look at any other major lobbying force in this country you will find that they all have the same basic structure set up with local and state chapters designed to perform grassroots campaign to generate funds and increase membership base. Both of which result in strength and influence with members of Congress.

Until a grassroots effort is made to gain membership and allow everyone to participate in the organizations efforts the PPA will continue to fail in making itself a powerful lobbying force in Washington and will remain largely seen and not heard.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Time to have our voices heard - Criticism of the PPA

The PPA is not the problem
Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 PM

Sending a few players to capitol hill is not a big effort by the PPA. They are part of the blame for this outcome. They need to update their website, too. Perhaps they can take the Monster counter and slap it on the site to show the current membership numbers.

I am a PPA member and I have found their visibility lacking. It is a monumental task to organize the PPA, so I will cut them some slack. Unfortunately, there is no second chance.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The PPA is not the problem

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, their PART of the problem and even less of a solution. That's the point. They have all the resources to be an effective advocate for all poker players and yet choose to run themselves more like a corporation and less like an organization.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 PM

Hey at least I got a good bonus out of them for signing up.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 PM

Don't forget that this is a very new organization. They are doing their best. I have actually talked with Mike about starting State chapters in the past. He is very aware that it is needed. Unfortunately with the aggressivness of this legislation, they had to prioritize. They ended up focusing their efforts solely on DC. I'm sure you will see more about grassroots organizations here in the very near future. I have already offered up my services to start one here in Indiana.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:57 PM

I just posted this on my own thread, but i'll post it here as well. This is an interview Mr. Bolcerek did for MSR:

Hey guys, good interview. Thought I'd share. For those of you who don't have the time to listen, Mr. Bolcerek was basically saying that there are 23 million online poker players in the USA while the PPA is only 120,000 strong. He needs members and he needs donations!!! Pony up the 20 bucks everyone, or you can kiss online poker bye bye.

http://mysportsradio.com/?cat=103

Stop talking as if the PPA isn't doing anything. Mr. Bolcerek is lobbying for us. It's unfortunately fact that lobbyists need money, 120,000 members ain't gonna cut it. Join now!!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:02 PM

We really have nobody to blame but ourselves. You can take this board as a perfect example. In the weeks leading up to the passing of the bill, there were maybe 150 browsing this board. The day after the bill passes, there are 1700 people on.

Now, after the bill passed, everyone has an idea of what to do and people are springing into action writing letters, making phone calls, etc.

All those people that responded to threads saying this would never happen and flaming those people who were giving warnings are now in a panic over their lost careers or hobby.

Now isn't the time for action... 3 months ago was the time for action.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Can anyone tell me why the companies weren't throwing money at this? Didn't they just loose 3 Billion market share ? As a political professional this whole thing just left me puzzled. By the way, everyone was right to be surprised it only happened because of Foley. The Reps were desparate then for something to appease the religious right and get them to come out to vote. Dobson hates gambling, so we were it. Welcome to D.C.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:12 PM

i signed up with them and never got my free t-shirt