Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 AM

Default Reaction from JetSet Poker

Most of you have never played at (or heard of) JetSet Poker. For completeness, here's the email I got from them. They want us for now.

Dear xxxx [Tom Bayes],

Thank you very much for your message and reaching us in this matter.

As you may be aware the Senate on September 30, 2006 ratified HR4954 "Safe Ports Act" that includes legislation endeavoring to make it illegal for financial institutions to process transactions for the purpose of funding online gaming.

It is important to note at the outset that JetSetPoker.com is not a public company, which accords us the opportunity to respond nimbly to these market occurrences where are industry brethren may not be able to do so in a commercially reasonable timeframe. In the short term, we are confident your experiences at JetSetPoker.com will remain the status quo and you shall be able to deposit and withdraw money with no incident as your funds remain secure and safe. We however are unable to predict how the online poker industry may change in the future, given that the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System of the United States has 270
days to recommend rules that may affect payment processing after the bill becomes law. Lastly, in this regard when signed by the President this legislation will not seek to criminalize individuals for playing poker online. The goal of this bill is to eventually attempt to prevent the transfer of funds to online gaming sites.

Please rest assured that we shall vigilantly monitor this process and if anything should change we will dutifully relay any and all conclusions.

Additionally, we anticipate that our business may not be greatly affected in the near and intermediate term as the immediate efforts of enforcing this law will be to potentially block transactions conducted within the U.S. banking system, while the payment processing partners of
JetSetPoker.com are beyond the confines of this jurisdiction. We would anticipate that in the near to immediate term that the U.S. may encounter difficulties in asserting their laws on companies in foreign jurisdictions.

In closing we thank you for your inquiries and continued patronage at JetSetPoker.com and if there is anything further with which we may assist please do not hesitate to contact us again at your leisure.

Best regards,

Brendan
JetSetPoker.com
Old 10-04-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Reaction from JetSet Poker

Go Jetset!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:48 AM

Hmmmm.
This is what I got when I visited their homepage:

Dear Valued JetSetPoker Customer:

We deeply regret to convey that we shall be discontinuing service at JetSetPoker (the "Site") effective Midnight EST on Friday, October 13, 2006.

Initially, and as per our previous statement, we were cautiously optimistic in maintaining operations for our membership after the passage of the "SAFE Port Act HR 4954" on September 30, 2006 by the U.S. Senate. We nonetheless initially believed it to be practicable.

However, given the developments during the preceding week, including but not limited to, the unfavorable view of payment processors and financial institutions regarding online gambling and the extensive advice of our legal counsel, we have been instructed to cease activities and comply with this prohibitionist legislation.

We were fortunate to have a first-rate membership and it was our pleasure to provide a destination site where members were able to enjoy their favorite card games and tournaments with the surety that we were to buttress the integrity of the forum. In this inclement environment however we believe our ability to do so may become impaired nor do we anticipate this matter to improve in the near future.

We once again thank you for your patronage of JetSetPoker and deeply regret these unfortunate circumstances that have materially and adversely impacted both the Site and the industry.

Best regards,
JetSetPoker Management Team
Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 AM

A poster at IG said he was playing and they popped up a message saying they would close in five minutes forever.

Not much notice to it's valued customers.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:03 AM

I just hope they cashout.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:13 AM

FYI...

We had been working with them for about a year and half.

On Monday they told me that the program was over and that all of our players would be automatically cashed out via bank draft within six to twelve weeks.

I'm assuming that they will be paying out all players that way.

I've tried to get ahold of my contacts there since Monday, to no avail.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:23 AM

this will kill all the tiny poker sites.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried to get ahold of my contacts there since Monday, to no avail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this them?

Seriously, I hope you get your money. But I wouldn't think it looks too good.