Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 09:59 AM

Default 1st hand KK B&M tournament

$500+$60 tournament. 88 players. 5000 starting chips. Blinds 25/50. First hand I'm UTG with KK. I raise to 200. One middle position caller, who I've played with before and is tight/solid player... probably holding a big ace, and the BB calls. Flop is Q 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB looks down at his chips, looks at me and notices me watching him, then he checks, I bet 600 into a 625 pot. MP folds, BB goes allin.

I know nothing about BB. What would you do here?

I folded, he didn't show. I took 2nd in the tournament, so I'd like to think I made the right decision.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Re: 1st hand KK B&M tournament

No reads? I fold. 4xBB raise UTG PF and pot-sized bet on the flop screams KK AA, and villian prolly picked up on this. You can pick better spots than this with the stacks relatively deep.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:57 AM

you made the right desicion.even if he had ak-aj,risking all your chips at that point is not a good choice in my opinion. even if he is a real week player, he could have called with ace x of diamonds and have a killer draw against you. in my opinion no doubt you made the correct play.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 PM

In this environment, I fold w/o too much thought. What are you beating at this point? I mean, does JJ-TT or AK make this move after a strong pf bet and a psb on the flop?

Every time I call this on-line, I'm looking at a set. If you re-play the hand, almost any pp can call 3BB from the BB and see a flop. The implied odds here are huge.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:20 PM

You are getting 1.4-1 pot odds. Villain probably has either a set, top pair, or a flush draw (maybe also with over cards or a pair). You are about 8% against a set, 80% against top pair, and 45-65% against a flush draw, a little higher if you have a diamond. I think this is close, and I would probably call.

The other poster mentioned that the 4xBB UTG and potting the flop screamed AA/KK. Maybe better to play in a way that doesn't scream what you have.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:06 PM

I'd call, every time someone spies me watching them they make a retarded bluff thinking that I'm weak and looking for tells. I would call this pretty quickly, lots of diamonds are in his range and AQ, KQ are in there as well.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other poster mentioned that the 4xBB UTG and potting the flop screamed AA/KK. Maybe better to play in a way that doesn't scream what you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I bet 2/3 - 3/4 pot here so this could look like a c-bet.

But then some of my c-bets are pot sized for the same reason.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:42 PM

I guess this could go into some psych stuff. Maybe the BB saw that you were going to make a continuation bet or something. I don't know if thats actually what he saw but you seemed interested enough in what he was doing to help judge what your next move would be.

Maybe he looked down at something like Ad2d or Ad5d and knew he could push all in and take you off your marginal hands and if you had a hand he would be a likely favorite if he got called.

I don't know. Tough decision. I don't know what you can put him on here besides maybe the Adxd draw or possibly a set. I don't think Q3 Q4 doesn't call here PF. Queens might smooth call but I would probably expect a reraise from a player with them OOP PF. 33 and 44 might smooth call this. Deep stacked in the beginning. Why not try to break someone. Then again I don't play $500+ tourneys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Congrats on the 2nd too.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you made the right desicion.even if he had ak-aj,risking all your chips at that point is not a good choice in my opinion. even if he is a real week player, he could have called with ace x of diamonds and have a killer draw against you. in my opinion no doubt you made the correct play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he had those hands, folding would be insane.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:04 PM

This happened to me at the Taj Friday 200+25, except I called. Trip fours. Puke.

Took the lesson, though.