Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Is limping with small suited aces the correct play?

I usually limp with these, because i was under the impression that they're value was somewhat like small pocket pairs, i.e. they might make a big hand. However, i would like to hear what you guys would recommend. I know i didn't give any situations or anything, i was kinda hoping you guys would fill in that part [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Is limping with small suited aces the correct play?

In EP at a full table they are normally trash unless the table is uber tight. In MP at a tight table i will raise most of the time, never limp. In LP when limped or folded to me i will usually raise most of the time. Same as the button. SB i will complete and BB i will check unless the table is uber tight and i feel i can win the pot there, but you have to raise big there, otherwise the odds are too good for them to call.

For a beginner i would suggest not limping with them unless your in the SB, Button or BB. IF you can get away from flopping a weak ace when someone shows serious strength i would also raise from LP.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:04 PM

sorry i meant to specify that situtions would be most helpful if they refer to limit.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:34 PM

Axs still depends on what your non-ace card is. anything below ATs can be dangerous in limit because you will lose to a higher ace kicker (or even a two card straight) far more often than you will win with a nut flush. in my last 100K hands or so, I have found A9s and lower to be very marginal holdings, even slightly unprofitable (exception: A5s due to the wheel capability).

you need a lot of limpers in front of you, and players who knowingly play poorly after the flop to pay off your big wins. otherwise, beginners should fold anything less than ATs. kickers DO matter, even when suited. why else would they bother giving you two cards to play with?
Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 PM

ill usually limp in LP if theres no action. i have the discipline to lay down Ad5d on a A T 8 flop if my opponent shows strength.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:03 PM

Although they can make a big hand a big problem with them is this:

If not enough people are in the hand the pot will be small.

Which in turn means even if you DO flop 2 suited cards, sometimes you'll still end up having to give up your hand (or more likely put in multiple bets on the flop incorrectly like many people)
Old 01-29-2006, 10:05 AM

They are good in NL for flushes but the downside is ofc they usally don't get much action once they get the flush. Having position with it is most important in my oppinion since if u flop TP you can easilly get away from it if a tight player or alot of action comes your way. Or if it's checked to u then u can bet like half, 3/4 of the pot if it's raised u just muck it with a smile saying "Can't fool you can I?"