Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Class Action

I know nothing of this but is there any merit to filing a class action lawsuit agains the US government for like lost wages etc.? A lot of people made life decisions, me included, in regards to online poker.

I'm not saying it's a good idea or the best idea or even feasible, i really have no clue, but i figure i would put it out there. I'd imagine a lawyer out there looking to get his name in the paper would be willing to do this. Also there is the "game of skill/chance" debate which i think is much more up in the air online.

Just one "shut up this is an awful idea" post will do btw.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Class Action

[ QUOTE ]
I know nothing of this but is there any merit to filing a class action lawsuit agains the US government for like lost wages etc.? A lot of people made life decisions, me included, in regards to online poker.

I'm not saying it's a good idea or the best idea or even feasible, i really have no clue, but i figure i would put it out there. I'd imagine a lawyer out there looking to get his name in the paper would be willing to do this. Also there is the "game of skill/chance" debate which i think is much more up in the air online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shut up this is an awful idea.

[ok, the idea is not awful but you have no case. you cannot sue the government for passing a law.]
Old 10-03-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ok, the idea is not awful but you have no case. you cannot sue the government for passing a law.]

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, yes you can, you just have to be able to show it violates some "right" or is "unfair" in a way that violates your "rights" They are not class action suits however.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:14 PM

No case here.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, yes you can, you just have to be able to show it violates some "right" or is "unfair" in a way that violates your "rights" They are not class action suits however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no you can't.

Legal Pleadings don't say, "WHEREFORE, plaintiff submits that the new online gambling law is unfair and affects his rights."
Old 10-03-2006, 02:24 PM

If the government passes a law without due process of law, you can bring an action to have it declared unconstitutional. Unfortunately, attaching it to an unrelated bill and ramrodding it through Congress at the eleventh hour still qualifies as due process of law.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right -- I was way too general -- if the law somehow violated the rights guaranteed by the United States Constitution, you can challenge the validity of the law in Court. There is no case for lost wages/income...
Old 10-03-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no you can't.

Legal Pleadings don't say, "WHEREFORE, plaintiff submits that the new online gambling law is unfair and affects his rights."

[/ QUOTE ]
So if they passed a law that said I had to ride in the back of the bus because I am a minority I could not sue the government to get the law declared unconstitutional? Interesting. Or are you saying they would have to try and enforce the law at least once before I could do that?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:27 PM

I definitely think this it is unconstitutional for the federal government to pick and choose what types of gambling it's citizens may partake in. Hopefully someone around here has a law degree and can argue this. I think it's worth at least fighting for.
class action to recover wages is obviously a bad idea though, u can't prove that u would make money, who know s u might have gone on a downswing.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no you can't.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if they passed a law that said I had to ride in the back of the bus because I am a minority I could not sue the government to get the law declared unconstitutional? Interesting. Or are you saying they would have to try and enforce the law at least once before I could do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing online gambling to illegal discrimination is apples and oranges, my friend.