Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2006, 08:20 PM

Default board textures

i asked for some help on the micros forum on this thread, but had no replies, so, i would be so glad if anyone here could help me...

here is a less formatted version of the thread
[ QUOTE ]
Iīm trying to list all possibilities on board textures, but i really need some help from you. I would appreciate any kind of advice, please correct me if you think that are any unnapropriated terms or concepts. Actually i have such a poor english, so any grammar or vocabulary would be welcome as well. I ask for you read with attention before making any commentary.

The first thing to do is to define what attributes should be considerated when trying to organize our board textures, and i think there are 3 main attributes:

* Pairing (just donīt know how i should call this attribute, because itīs not just about pairs, but about trips and quads also, so i donīt think "pairing" as the better word for it)
* Suitedness
* Connectedness

(* i donīt think "cards strenght" should be taken as a separated attribute, and it would complicate a lot all this stuff)

So, letīs examine these attributes on the flop, one by one:

FLOP

Well, at first we should sort it by the "pairing" attribute. There are 3 instances for that:

* Unpaired Board
* Pair on Board
* Trips on Board

Now weīre going to sort it by suitedness. There are other 3 instances for it:

* Rainbow
* Two Suited
* Three to a Flush

You should have noticed that if the board is unpaired, all combinations of instances are allowed, but when a pair is on board, itīs not possible to be a "three to a flush" board. With trips on board only a rainbow board is possible.

The same thing happens when we talk about our last attribute, the "connectedness".

Now we have a problem. For connectedness we have four main types of instances: "disconnected", "two cards connected", "three cards connected" and "three to a straight". But there are much more instances, just because they differ from each other by the number of gaps between the connections (the number in parenthesis, or two numbers, in case of "three connected").
I was pretty satisfied with that idea, but then i have noticed that the presence of Aces had a great influence on texture of the board. For example: a 2 gaps connection between any other cards that arenīt Aces leaves on the board the possibility for someone drawing for an OESD. But if the 2 gaps connection involves an Ace on it, the OESD itīs not possible, just a gutshot is possible now.

So, with all these issues, we have 20 instances for connectedness:

* Disconnected
* Ace-x Connection
* Two Connected (3)
* Two Connected (2)
* Two Connected (1)
* Two Connected (0)
* x-Ace-x Connection
* x-x-Ace Connection (3/2)
* x-x-Ace Connection (3/1)
* x-x-Ace Connection (3/0)
* Three Connected (3/3)
* Three Connected (3/2)
* Three Connected (3/1)
* Three Connected (3/0)
* x-x-Ace Connection (2/1)
* Ace-x-x Connection (2/1)
* Ace-Ended Three Connected (2/2)
* Three Connected (2/2)
* Three Connected (2/1)
* Three to a Straight

The instances above are somewhat sorted by their drawing possibilities, starting with a drawless board (actually, a disconnected board still leaves a possibility for a BDSD), ending with a "three to a straight" board, wich not only makes possible a lot of straight draws, but a completed straight is already possible.
Just a note about the "ace-ended three connected (2/2)". It includes both "ace-x-x connection (2/2)" and "x-x-ace connection (2/2)".

So, compiling it al...

- BOARD TEXTURES (FLOP)

Unpaired Board

-suitedness

* Rainbow
* Two Suited
* Three to a Flush

-connectedness

* (all the 20 instances allowed)

So, for an unpaired board we have 60 instances (20 connectedness instances X 3 suitedness instances)

Pair on Board

-suitedness

* Rainbow
* Two Suited

-connectedness

* Disconnected
* Ace-x Connection
* Two Connected (3)
* Two Connected (2)
* Two Connected (1)
* Two Connected (0)

With a pair on board there are 12 possible instances (6 connectedness instances X 2 suitedness instances)

Trips on Board

* (no connectedness or suitedness combinations, so it makes just 1 more instance)

In a total of 73 board textures on the flop.

So, what i really want from you are your oppinions and suggestions if you think there any errors in my list.
I would be glad also, if someone could help me making the same thing for the turn textures.

Thnx for any kind of feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]