Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 05:39 AM

Default Is anyone else not that worried?

I'm primarily a high stakes limit player playing on UB, full tilt, stars, absolute, etc...

These sites don't seem to be in very much trouble. Not saying I'm happy with the bill but for some reason I'm not nearly as upset as the rest of you.

Casual gamblers will still be able to deposit on at least some of these sites. The majority of people I play with are at least somewhat established gamblers and aren't the type that will deposit 5K, try to run i up, lose it all, and never come back. Many of them are also serious enough about playing to find ways to deposit or they live in europe somewhere.

Can someone tell me why I should be (more) worried than I am? I want to know what's coming so I can be prepared.

Also, wouldn't it be easy to fake an address, etc? Or perhaps I could fly to some country in Europe, get a PO Box there, and set that up as my foreign address for the sites?

There seem to be so many ways for me as the customer to relieve the burden of the gambling sites. So should my worry be that the casual american won't bother anymore?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Is anyone else not that worried?

[ QUOTE ]
So should my worry be that the casual american won't bother anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my biggest concern.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:41 AM

-Stars is very likely cutting off the US

-Casual gamblers WONT be able to deposit

-You should be worried unless you are braindead because the sites have announced that they're cutting off the US.

-It would be impossible for you to fake an out of country address without them wanting you to fake it and intentionally letting it slide.

-If you consider moving to another country a very simple and easy alternative then do it.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:42 AM

Joe-six pack is the reason this game is profitable.

Whether he deposits $100 and blows it to other fish who eventually get to your level, or deposits $100, runs it up to $10,000 and blows it, he is exactly why you are able to make a living off of poker.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-It would be impossible for you to fake an out of country address without them wanting you to fake it and intentionally letting it slide.

-If you consider moving to another country a very simple and easy alternative then do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood my paragraph.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Joe-six pack is the reason this game is profitable.

Whether he deposits $100 and blows it to other fish who eventually get to your level, or deposits $100, runs it up to $10,000 and blows it, he is exactly why you are able to make a living off of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is partially true. On some days, I sometimes see a fish who bought in for 300 at 30/60, ran it up to 500 and went to 50/100, etc etc etc, until he suddenly hits every hand and is sitting with 20K at a 300/600 table.

On most other days, I just see my same old same old fish, slowly losing his bankroll, then waiting till the next month when he can redeposit again.

These people have gone through the trouble to set up Neteller. Don't you think they'll go through a little bit more trouble to set up another intermediary?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:54 AM

No, because now it carries the strong possibility of audit and laundering charges.

If the IRS sees tons of unreported money funnelling into your American account from a foreign account you can pretty much expect to end up in a Pound-You-In-The-Ass prison.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, because now it carries the strong possibility of audit and laundering charges.

If the IRS sees tons of unreported money funnelling into your American account from a foreign account you can pretty much expect to end up in a Pound-You-In-The-Ass prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand your point. Why wouldn't you report your money? Based on the discussion I've read, they couldn't arrest you for it.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:00 AM

Because if you used some "workaround", i.e. depositing money through an overseas bank it would be supplying money for something that is domestically illegal. If you report it, it would be akin to a drug dealer reporting his revenue. I'm no lawyer and hope to God I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like on the surface.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand, why would the IRS care as long as you're reporting your winnings and paying them?