Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Rolf\'s Book - Some general impressions

Just finished the book this evening.

My general impressions:
1 - I think that the publishing of the book will attract more players to the game, which will make it more profitable for players like myself who have been taking money out of the game for a long time.

2 - A lot of new PLO players, who are most likely former NLHE players, are going to have a hard time understanding the concepts in the book. The strategies presented are at a very high level, and Rolf assumes the reader knows many of the obvious facts well-known to experienced PLO players. I think Ciaffone's book is still the best book out for the beginning player.

3 - The shortstack strategy is definitely a powerful one, but the effectiveness is probably somewhat limited in the smaller games like the one I play (PL 50-200), where more players are tight-passives and LAGs are few and far between (and don't seem to last long in the game).

4- I don't think the book will change the way most experienced PLO players play the game, that is, if you always play a full-stack, you aren't going to want to start playing a shortstack strategy, but it will give you a lot of ideas on how to beat different kinds of players, as well as think about how to fix some weaknesses in your own game.

Overall, the book is very well written, and worth much more than $19.95.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Rolf\'s Book - Some general impressions

Thanks Joe. Other book reviews, opinions & impressions (fortunately for me, all of them ranging from slightly to highly positive) are available here: Books & Publications

Best regards,
Rolf.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 PM

I'm still reading it, but overall I'm quite happy with the $20 or so I spent on it. At a minimum it has made me understand much better why I have had so much success in the past with shortstacked play, and also why sometimes it worked so well and sometimes it was a disaster.

I especially like the idea that it's best to either have the biggest or smallest stack on the table. This matches my experience, even though I didn't fully realize it until I got this book.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:08 PM

i cant read
Old 10-06-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still reading it, but overall I'm quite happy with the $20 or so I spent on it. At a minimum it has made me understand much better why I have had so much success in the past with shortstacked play, and also why sometimes it worked so well and sometimes it was a disaster.

I especially like the idea that it's best to either have the biggest or smallest stack on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow I think I'm the only person I can ever remember saying this. Now to find someone with a credit card so I can buy the book.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the publishing of the book will attract more players to the game [of PLO]

[/ QUOTE ]PLO can have as much attractiveness as NLHE for the casual player. But without its own WPT exposure, it will continue to float under the radar of the masses.

Mickey Brausch
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 PM

The problem is that this book will attract winning HE players and convert them into winning OH players, which is not really what we want. We want TV coverage, damnit!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Ciaffone's book is still the best book out for the beginning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how anyone can recommend Ciaffone's book. It has exactly 9 pages on pot-limit Omaha. Either the game is ridiciously simple, or someone must be joking.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:36 PM

i went to borders today and couldnt find his boook [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Joe. Other book reviews, opinions & impressions (fortunately for me, all of them ranging from slightly to highly positive) are available here: Books & Publications

Best regards,
Rolf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Rolf, I havent read this book yet, but do you mind telling under what nick you play the pokerstars pot limit omaha? I just remember reading some article where you reffered to pokerstars 10 20 game.
Fwiw I play under ITILTEZ.