Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 09:41 AM

Default So how do Proxy Servers work anyway?

Trying to get a head start on playing pokah via a proxy server, now that the big ban is proceeding nicely. Can someone give us the details on getting this working?

thx.. BB
Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM

Default Re: So how do Proxy Servers work anyway?

http://thor.info.uaic.ro/~busaco/tea...anets/ch15.htm

Not sure if the only check for country of origin will be IP based.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 PM

Are public proxies reliable or do you have spend the $100/year for proxy service? Can you can configure a router to connect to a proxy?

Also I've been researching software based solutions that spoof your IP/country of origin. Does anyone know if they are reliable? Would you be able to use a router or would you have to connect directly?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 AM

You're not going to "spoof" your IP without running through a proxy/port redirector. And that really isn't a spoof. Spoofing only works for one-way traffic like ICMP and sometimes UDP packets, not TCP. There are advanced techniques to predict sequence numbers in TCP packets and with skill, practice, and luck you may be able to complete a SYN/ACK cycle and squeak in one payload packet before it fails...but we're talking a few bytes, not a poker session [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I'd guess "spoofing software" is either misusing the term and simply a proxy/redirector (requiring software to be running on a remote computer actually IN the other country), or designed for one-way attacks...and *possibly* to spoof a very short TCP conection (3-way handshake + 1 packet) (I used to do that with winnuke on IRC when people ran "nuke detectors"...I could set off one person's detector and it'd display in the channel that someone else tried to nuke em. Ahh the things we wasted time on in IRC).

I never tried public proxies as I'd set my own as needed on other boxes I had shells on. I would think free ones would be less reliable. I'd go with a pay-proxy w/ a good security reputation/track record.

You've got plenty of time tho...we don't need to be proxying yet unless you're just in love w/ one of the sites that blocked US customers...and would still love it without the US fish (cause Joe Drunk poker loser isn't gonna be runnin a proxy in general...especially if he needs a foreign mailing address and credentials to make a deposit/withdraw)
Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the reply.

[ QUOTE ]
I never tried public proxies as I'd set my own as needed on other boxes I had shells on. I would think free ones would be less reliable. I'd go with a pay-proxy w/ a good security reputation/track record.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been researching some sites but they seem to be based in the US, so this won't really help me. I guess I should be trying to find a Canadian company? Is that my best bet?

[ QUOTE ]
You've got plenty of time tho...we don't need to be proxying yet unless you're just in love w/ one of the sites that blocked US customers...and would still love it without the US fish (cause Joe Drunk poker loser isn't gonna be runnin a proxy in general...especially if he needs a foreign mailing address and credentials to make a deposit/withdraw)

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize Joe Poker is not going to be jumping through these hoops but since I play mid-high stakes SNGs for a living I have to keep my options open as there a limited number of sites with sufficient SNG action. Since there seems to be a minimal cost involved (got a remailer for $13 + postage, $100/year for proxy) it is easily worth it even if I never use it. Thanks again...Bish
Old 10-04-2006, 01:17 AM

Makes sense. Always nice to understand why people are making their changes. I admire your paranoia/preparation [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Best of luck getting through this transitional phase!
Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 AM

Well I've made in pretty far, I am able to access the internet and make it look like I am coming from another country but I am having trouble logging onto Party. Anyone know what protocol the Party software would be using: HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS4, SOCKS4A, SOCKS5?
Old 10-04-2006, 05:27 AM

UB uses HTTP (port 80) for the lobby and HTTPS (port 443) for tables. I would think most sites are similar but can't Guarantee this is the case for Party.

SOCKS version will be dependant on your proxy company, not party. Hope that helps.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:23 AM

JENGA!!! Thanks BiPolar...will post instructions tomorrow if anyone is interested.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:56 AM

Pls do so [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thx!