Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 07:37 AM

Default why are short handed games easier?

Why are short handed games so much easier to beat than full ring games? Is this because a decent poker player can take better advantage of their skills at a short handed game, or is it because the average fish becomes an even bigger fish in a short handed game?

I am under no delusions I am a very average player but find the short handed limit games ridiculously easy while the full ring seems to be harder to beat. I don't really think this is because I play better short handed, but moreso that bad/uneducated players with all their misconceptions about short handed play make it much easier for me to get their money. Or is it because the better players tend to want to play full ring games more? I don't know.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:39 AM

Default Re: why are short handed games easier?

How many hands have you played at each?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:46 AM

dunno I haven't been using poker tracker until recently been 2 tabling for about 20 hours a week for the last 2 months roughly. before that most of my play was live.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:47 AM

People tend to play a lot looser in SH games, and if you are used to playing FR then your tighter play is probably helping at SH.

There is a lot more variance with SH as well so it is possible/probable that you are still experiencing the good variance, watch out for the bad!
Old 09-29-2006, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
variance

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-29-2006, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are short handed games so much easier to beat than full ring games? Is this because a decent poker player can take better advantage of their skills at a short handed game, or is it because the average fish becomes an even bigger fish in a short handed game?

I am under no delusions I am a very average player but find the short handed limit games ridiculously easy while the full ring seems to be harder to beat. I don't really think this is because I play better short handed, but moreso that bad/uneducated players with all their misconceptions about short handed play make it much easier for me to get their money. Or is it because the better players tend to want to play full ring games more? I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put a lot of those "solid" ring players in shorthanded situations and I guarntee they will play a lot worse.
You have a lot less information to go on in shorthanded play, simply because preflop hand ranges are a lot wider (as they should be).
Players playing tendencies are a little more impotrant then.
Something that requires observation and skill to deduce and apply.
It is a lot easier to appear good in full ring when you have flaws in your game as long as you play solid pre flop (pretty easy to do).

There is of couse also less shorthanded theory in book form as compared to full ring.

On average I disagree that shorthanded games are that easier. However, to people who are good at game selection, then it is a juicier game. If you are at a table with 2 super fish in a shorthanded game, you are at a gold mine. You get to play way more hands with the fish than you would at a full limit game.

Why you find it soo easy? Could be your natural decisions lead you to be better at short handed. That was the case with me at first. In full ring games I called down a little too often and was overly agressive with my value bets. This made me lose money at ring but win at short handed.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:49 AM

Everything is accelerated. 4-6 handed, similar situations come up more frequently. If you are on the button and the BB is folding too much, there are twice number of times more that situation will arise in a 5 handed game than a 10 handed game. You get to know your opponents more intimately. It's not necessarily that bad players have a chance to make more mistakes SH than FR (they still get dealt 2 cards every hand and have a chance to place each hand just as gross as the last), but they are UTG, in the CO, in the BB and EVERY position much more frequently so if someone has a defect in their blind-steal play, their blind-defense play, their range which they cold-call OTB with - it's all exacerbated. Failing to use the advantages of position is punished much more SH.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:09 AM

I think full ring is easier.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On average I disagree that shorthanded games are that easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. Postflop skill is much more important
in shorthanded, getting good reads on players is a must.
And the variance can make the psychological part of SH
play much much harder (i.e., when you're running bad).