Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 03:18 AM

Default Best free Browser, Anti-Spyware, Firewall?

I'm currently reformatting my main laptop, thanks to a complete meltdown caused by 2+2's main forum page (see the ATF forum thread for more info).

So after the reformat, I'm considering 3 changes to my setup: browser, anti-spyware and firewall.

I've always used IE and Spybot and my DSL router's firewall. What's better in each category? Free would be nice!

(I also own Norton AV, in case you were wondering about that).

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Best free Browser, Anti-Spyware, Firewall?

Forget about IE. There are many (20-40 depending who you talk to) exploits that aren't patched in a "fully patched" IE. Use firefox, Opera, Netscape, or Mozilla.

Spybot S&D is good...but sometimes slow on definition updates. I like to use Spybot and Adaware (www.lavasoftusa.com). There are others...feel free to use them if someone suggests another.

Your router's firewall is okay and good for a perimiter firewall, but you really should have an application-level firewall on your pc. I use Sygates's personal firewall, but it is no longer available since those symantec/norton bastards bought them out and axed that wonderful product. I have a grudge against ZoneAlarm due to historic security problems and them changing/disableing certain functionalities over the years, but from other posts here they have a free version...and they don't suffer from the old exploits anymore I feel comfy giving the go ahead to get it unless someone suggests something better.

Personally I loathe Norton. Get Kaspersky or NOD32 (Kaspersky is better in my opinion but it uses more resources....you will notice a slowdown using Kaspersky. Nod32 is better than norton or McCrappy and won't slow your system as much) Both have free trials.

I'm sure others will chime in...my $0.02 are on the table. Take them or leave them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2006, 05:28 AM

I agree with BiPolar on most points.

Opera or Firefox for the browser. I prefer Opera.

Spybot S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) and/or AdAware (http://www.lavasoft.de/) for anti-spyware.

You can get Active Virus Shield for free which is powered by Kaspersky and very good. (http://www.activevirusshield.com/ant...eav/index.adp?)

For firewall you can get Comodo Firewall for free which is a great software firewall. (http://www.personalfirewall.trustix.com/)
Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 AM

My cable provider has free licenses for the FSecure suite, but that's a friggin beast. Slow and fat. I used it until my latest reload then dumped it.

Active Virus Shield? Sorry, if the letters AOL appear anywhere on the product -- I'm done. I don't care if its the greatest, freeist, bestest thing out there. AOL is evil.

I use Avast and thus far I'm happy. But you don't really know how good/bad a virus proggy is, until you get a virus..

Comodo is nice -- thats what I am using now.

And... Fathem the thought -- I still use IE. Maxthon tabbed IE actually, but I'm no IE hater. Just don't be stupid. If I get the urge to delve into the dark corners of the internet, I'll fire up Firefox.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:14 PM

Kerio firewall is free and I like it. I have the free Zone Alarm firewall on a second computer. I am starting to dislike ZoneAlarm more and more. The solictations are getting annoying and invavsive IMO. I'll probably switch to Kerio. I may check out Commodo that other posters have referred too.

Regarding the spyware, you may as well get Windows Bit Defender also- it's free.