Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 02:21 AM

Default $50 NL too aggressive with nut flush draw?

Opponent seemed kind of laggy, but he hadn't shown down a hand in the 15 or so hands he'd been there yet, so no real read.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($35.45)
UTG ($37.62)
MP ($27.55)
Hero ($57.60)
Button ($36.13)
SB ($50.45)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $6.

Turn: ($21.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $12</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $33.25
Old 09-29-2006, 03:55 AM

Default Re: $50 NL too aggressive with nut flush draw?

It could be the limit player in me talking, but when I look at that board, I think it's not a great one for making a play on the flop versus a PFR. And the fact that he raised small preflop could make it even more likely that the board connected with him (I'm not sure about that, though).

In any event, though, I'd imagine you will take it down immediately versus an underpair (assuming BB also doesn't have much).
Old 09-29-2006, 04:27 AM

If I raise the flop, I'm making it $12. People won't fold their garbage hands that beat you as much for only $6 more.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:30 AM

or u could just call and BB may follow suit and u will be gettin pretty good odds for nutdraw

but if u think u can take it with a raise i'd raise it more like 12ish
Old 09-29-2006, 04:39 AM

I know why you raised the turn, but with your stack size, and his stack size, it might have been better to call the flop, that way you have better implied odds to call the turn. By raising when he was a smaller stack than you, you make that turn call hard on yourself. So yes, I'd say you were too aggressive. You built up the pot when you didn't need to. I also don't agree with tubasteve. If villain was going to check the turn, he would check even from a minraise on the flop, if his hand actually was that weak. He obviously has strength, or he's pretending to. You would have gotten the same results no matter what your raise was. And who cares if he calls a raise with a garbage hand. You could always bluff him off that on the turn or river. You want to see more cards, but with the stack sizes your play had the opposite effect.