Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 06:12 PM

Default JJ - overpair to the board against a maniac - how\'s my line?

Villain is 73/28/2.4 over 75 hands (although most from FreePHG). I've seen him play about 15-20 hands, haven't seen him show down anything - he likes to bet a small fraction of the pot on the river and people were folding.

I seem to have a hole in my game - regarding players that PT classifies as maniacs - I have serious trouble putting them on a hand. Any advice on that subject would be appreciated.

How's my line for this hand?

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $46.42
UTG+1: $30.52
UTG+2: $22.90
MP1: $34.43
MP2: $19
MP3: $25.90
CO: $24.40
Hero: $30.60
SB: $6.50
BB: $32.99

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, SB folds, BB calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($4.1, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $3.2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($20.1, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($20.1, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $6.82</font>, Hero calls.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Re: JJ - overpair to the board against a maniac - how\'s my line?

Maniacs are inherently hard to put on hands because they can have all kinds of things. Do you have any sense for how he plays postflop beyond the AF number? I'm inclined to think we're just destroying his range, even postflop, and so I'd be sticking more money as often as possible. I'd bet the turn, for example. I think players that loose are typically going to be hanging on postflop quite a bit more than they should be.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:25 PM

If he's that aggro, you should bet the turn. Sure, his flop call is scary, but your hand is still very good against his range of holdings. You're not against a better overpair. Thus, you need to bet the turn.

His river bet is obviously either a blocking bet or a "pleeze call me, I have teh nutz" bet; I'd assign a much higher probability to the first type. Against this type of player, it can be difficult determining what his calling range of a river raise is.

I think a lot of people are going to advocate pushing the river.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:19 PM

Maniacs usually can't find the fold button. Take advantage of this - it is profitable. With a good made hand on a board as unthreatening as this, bet as much as you can at every opportunity to make up for those occasions where they make a weird hand to outdraw you.

Two pair or a set is probably pushing over your flop raise, and the river bet is very weak, so as played I'd reraise AI on the river.

Better still, raise closer to full pot on the flop - around 10 puts 24 in there on the turn with 18 left in your stack (deeper stacks I'd raise a bit more on the flop, but 10 leaves a largish turn push). Push the turn.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:04 AM

Bet the turn against this opponent. Your looking for value, and he will be calling with alot of stuff. Raise the flop harder too. I don't mind playing for stacks with this hand.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:39 AM

I just don't fold overpairs vs. maniacs. Sometimes I run into a hand, but most of the time I'm fine.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn against this opponent. Your looking for value, and he will be calling with alot of stuff. Raise the flop harder too. I don't mind playing for stacks with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-29-2006, 06:35 AM

Why raise the flop?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's every chance he has an overcard so we don't want to see any AKQ here on the turn and want to have already charged him and cut his implied odds if it happens.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:39 AM

Raise the flop because it's fairly reasonable to assume he could've hit a pair, maybe even top pair and that kind of player probably doesn't fold it quite lightly.

It's for value. But I'd follow through on turn as well. If called, I would consider checking behind on the river, depending if a scare card falls or not. I would probably still bet most rivers that aren't either of the two highest cards on board. I say two, because he could have some funky second pair too. Then again, I'd probably bet anything lower than a queen and other than a ten.