Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Dual-core vs HyperThread

I'm looking to buy a new computer soon. Is Dual-core worth the extra money. I don't game or anything so the main focus is on Pokertracker w/ stars/party and the occasional browsing/virus scan etc. Right now I've been using a 1.7ghz laptop so either will be an improvement.

Any suggestions? Money isn't an issue but if Dual-core doesnt make that big of a difference compared to HT I won't bother with it.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Dual-core vs HyperThread

The Athlon x2 4400+ is not just dual-core, it has independent 1MB of L2 cache on each core. This is a huge step for multitasking and processing multi-threaded applications, which will be the standard after Windows Vista is released. PostGresSQL also benefits from dual-core technology, even if PT is only a single instance.

I recommend going dual-core, the 4400+ or better specifically.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 PM

yep athlon dual core rocks. hyperthreading just sounds cool
Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 AM

hey coldcaller,
do you have a 4400+ x2 computer?

I am thinking about getting that processor specifically...(the Toledo x2)

Have you been able to Overclock it? (and, if so, how high were you able to get it?)
Seems like if you can O/C to 2.4 or 2.5 GHz that it's a great value (as it has the same core, caches, "Bus," and is essentially the same processor as
the 4800+ x2 or the FX-60 dual-core, just slower clock...)
And it's $750. cheaper than the FX-60!

And to the OP - using the AMD x2 is like shooting tin cans at close range with a "12 gauge shotgun" while using the Pentiums
is like using a "water-pistol" - not even a competition b/w them...
plus they run much cooler and consume much less power than the "comparable" pentiums.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:43 PM

I am looking to purchase a new computer soon, and was somewhat intrigued by this thread. I know nothing about computers, so maybe you guys can clear some of this up. Supposedly the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ is awesome. I did some research and they are saying this is a processor... So how do I find a computer with this processor in it? Which brands sell this? Basically, tell me anything you can about this as I dont really understand what all these websites are saying. You might be able to put it in simpler terms. Thanks alot
Old 01-30-2006, 05:09 PM

you've done some reading and found the AMD 4400+ x2 to be "the" processor?
Where/what websites have you been reading??? Pls. share w/ me and I'll share w/ you lol

You can NOT currently buy a Dell computer with an AMD processor, so you have to go somewhere else.
All the
good gaming PC makers: Voodoo PC, Velocity Micro, Alienware, Falcon Nothwest, etc. all give you a choice b/w AMD and Intel Platforms.

I am
surprised that noone here ever (well, hardly ever) responds to any of my posts about the
AMD processors and overclokcing, etc.

Am I in the wrong forum? Is there a computer-enthusiast forum or is this it? lol
Old 01-30-2006, 11:01 PM

I know of no specific information about overclocking the dual-core AMDS, except that it's going to be somewhat less than the single-core solutions because of synchronising etc.

What I CAN tell you is that if you DO what to go dual-core, you definetely want to go with AMD. Their dual-core solution is FAR superior to Intels.

I build my own computer's so parts shopping isn't an issue for me. You'll need to go with a boutique dealer if you want it though.

Is dual-core worth the extra money? Probably. If you are multitasking with any sort of regularity you'll notice the difference of having the dual-core processors. And computer speeds nowadays are such that you can typically buy a processor and be fine for at least a few years unless you are a hardcore gamer, and even then it's not much of an issue. Spending the little bit extra up front for an x2 will almost surely be worth it. And their process will only get better as software companies begin to take advatnage of the extra core and write more multithreaded applications.