Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 02:26 PM

Default Heads up with when you know ONE of opponents cards - best strategy?

CROSS POSTED IN SMALL STAKES NL - Was Advised to Post Here.

So I am playing in a home game the other night and the dealer flips one of the cards over as he is dealing. The card is a Jack and the player says: "wait, I may want to keep it". He decides he does not want to keep it and the dealer keeps dealing. I then say that even if it was an Ace, then it is too much information to give your opponent about your hand. The guy disagrees and I suggest we play heads up w/100BB and he will always have an Ace of spades in his hand+one other random card. The game is set for next week and I was wondering what the best strategy for this type of situation would be.

If I missed any relevant details, let me know and I will add as available. Of note, this player is very weak but I am also pretty new to NL (having played limit for over 5 years now, NL for a month or so).
Old 09-28-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Heads up with when you know ONE of opponents cards - best strategy?

[ QUOTE ]
The game is set for next week and I was wondering what the best strategy for this type of situation would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limp as much as you can with weak hands, and raise every single flop that has no ace. Hes an idiot for playing you with basically 1 exposed card every time.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Heads up with when you know ONE of opponents cards - best strategy?

This was my plan (as well as trapping with 2 pair or better on the flop FTW). But I am getting info in the Small Stakes thread that basically says I am a HUGE dog in this fight...
Old 09-28-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Heads up with when you know ONE of opponents cards - best strategy

how weak is he? how high is his poker thinking? will he makes plays using logic that "you must be bluffing this flop cause it doesn't have an ace so i'm going to raise you because my ace high is still probably good"?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM

He is a weak player. Unfortunately, I am new to NL myself. I don't think he will consider Ace high to always be the best hand, but I am fairly sure he will bet any flop that is checked to him - hit or miss.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:15 PM

If this is for real I don't understand how you won't take him to the cleaners provided you run average.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:03 PM

I think you're going to get crushed. He'll have AA 1 in every 16 hands or so. He'll have a top notch hand nearly 1/2 the time (A8+).

All he has to do is shove you around a lot preflop. You'll never be better than 70/30 against his random hand unless you have AA. He'd be a fool to not be shoving you around preflop every time you limp, only folding to your reraise if he has a really bad ace.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:30 PM

ooh i didn't think of that. his optimal strategy is to bet big preflop a lot and you have absolutely no way to combat this. for your own sake, hope he doesn't realize this.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:43 AM

Try to talk him into playing deeper. He's going to have a ton of preflop equity and it's going to be really hard for you to make him make mistakes with 100bb even if he's kind of clueless. You're going to be fighting an uphill battle.

[ QUOTE ]
I then say that even if it was an Ace, then it is too much information to give your opponent about your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is much closer to correct the more players there are at the table, FWIW.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:03 AM

See how bluffable he is when there is a possible non-spade flush out there. I think people are not realizing that there is some value to also knowing the suit of his ace.

If he lets you, you try to see the flop for cheap.

If he raises a lot preflop, you can afford to wait for a big ace or a pair and trap him.

If he varies his play based on the size of his kicker, you can see more flops and bluff him since he is giving away way too much information.