Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Bonzi Wells to Houston Rockets

2-year/$5 million deal (the deal of the offseason, imo):
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2605639

Tmac better stay healthy, and they got that Greek dude. Dallas/Spurs/Rockets/Suns, the West is gonna be awesome this year.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Bonzi Wells to Houston Rockets

I'm a Kings fan. I like Bonzi but he got screwed this FA period by his own merits and his agents. At his age he should have never expected such a large contract and settled with a mockery of a contract that will let him out quickly.

The problem with the Rockets still remains the same, they are extremely dependant on 2 guys, Yao and T-Mac, who can't burden the total shoulder of the team.

I like their first 6 other than Juwan who I think isn't a championship caliber 4. Rafer isn't exactly great either but neither was J-Will for the Heat. The thing is Wade and Shaq are better than T-Mac and Yao and seem to have less health problems less than T-Mac or Yao. Yes Shaq gets hurt but every year he's good to go in the playoffs.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:16 PM

how is this the deal of the offseason? They got an aging scorer that plays ZERO defense.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Do do realize what he got paid right by the Rockets? His market value after the playoffs was much higher. That's why it's the "deal" of the offseason, not that he was the best available player in the off-season. You act like Ben Wallace deal was the "deal" of the off-season.

He does play defense and rebounds like a man possessed.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:56 PM

I think he got paid about what he is worth, glad to see Houston didn't overpay for him.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:57 PM

I love this signing. Houston is now a legit title contendor.

I wonder if they plan on starting Battier at the 4 (he did play about 40 percent of his minutes at the 4 for the Griz last year).

Alston-Wells-McGrady-Battier-Ming looks really good.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:15 PM

I'm sorry your misinformed then, first you say he can't defend, then you say he's paid exactly right. He might not be worth the reported 10 a year he wanted but he's getting underpaid in comparison to his skill level. He was the #1 SG FA this offseason. The Kings would have signed him for 5 years 35 million which is much closer to his actual market value.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how is this the deal of the offseason? They got an aging scorer that plays ZERO defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, this isn't so true. Last year, in 32 mpg (only 52 games though), he avg over 1.8 steals/game. Yeah, he's a risk taker on D, and isn't a typical blanket, but feast-or-famine D is okay since TMac will be gaurding the #1 scorer and they have a big body down low.

He also rebounds well. For a 6'5" guy, he got nearly 8 boards/game last year, and he was an absolute monster in the playoffs, averaging 23 and 12.

Of course, last year means nothing for this year...but the guy is more than just an aging scorer. He's a decent second-fiddle guy who can be asked to be the go-to-guy when TMac is catching a breather.

It's a good pickup.

Josh
Old 09-28-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry your misinformed then, first you say he can't defend, then you say he's paid exactly right.

[/ QUOTE ]yeah, whats confusing about that?

Also, one playoff series means jack [censored].
Old 09-28-2006, 03:12 PM

even so, do you know the salaries in the league today? are you that blind?

players who make around 2.5 million a year that are not rookies:

brian scalabrini
lindsey hunter
michael finley
aaron mckie

and i'm sorry he's much better than those players listed. the kings signed john salmons who hasn't done crap to 4 million a year. kwame brown makes 8.2 million a year and bonzi is leeps and bounds better than him. he's on par with the MLE in the NBA, and I'm pretty sure no GM and most fans would disagree with that. anything less is robbery and this is robbery right now. why do you think Bonzi already fired his agent over the Kings deal. He's making insignificant money right now. This is a steal. I'm sorry with the average around 5 or 6 million dollars a year in the nba and that includes rookies, Bonzi is atleast average in the NBA if not above average. Your just being silly now.

the problem was he wanted much more than the MLE which is around 5 million, he wanted 10 million. 2 million is about as low as you can get for a competenant player in the nba, and for most it's below the nba market value.

i'll help you out, here's a site with all the players salary information. maybe you'll get clued in that 2.5 for a guy who can score 15 and rebound 8 times a game is VERY low. this is a great deal for houston.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries.htm