Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 AM

Default AQ vs TAG

Villain is 24/16 over 60 hands. Seems fairly solid so far. When he 3bets preflop, and then pulls a screwplay on the turn, wtf am I ahead of? Of course I talk myself into calling down in the moment, but in hindsight, he is showing a huge amount of strength with that line.

Limit: $5/$10
3 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:53 AM

Default Re: AQ vs TAG

I keep calling down when people do this to me and I am never good but I just keep telling myself he is doing this with KK trying to fold my ace and call down like a fish.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:02 AM

I would cap this easily pf. I'm not folding the turn either. It's totally possible he does this with AJ/AT/A9 putting you on a lower A.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:09 AM

Leader,

I never cap AQ preflop.. In a HU Button/blind situation, should I usually be capping it? Since I moved to 5/10 and experienced the mother of all downswings, I've noticed my stats are too tight now.. 22/15 and I'm hating it. I rarely raise/3bet from the blinds, and I'm starting to think that is a bigger problem at 5/10 than at 3/6..

--------------------------------------------

Wow, moments later, same [censored] opponent... [results in white]

Limit: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (12.4SB, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO caps</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (12.2BB, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (15.2BB, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Results:
Final pot: 15.2BB
<font color="#ffffff">BB shows Td 9c </font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows As Ah </font>
<font color="#ffffff">CO shows Kd Ks </font>
Old 09-28-2006, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Leader,

I never cap AQ preflop.. In a HU Button/blind situation, should I usually be capping it? Since I moved to 5/10 and experienced the mother of all downswings, I've noticed my stats are too tight now.. 22/15 and I'm hating it. I rarely raise/3bet from the blinds, and I'm starting to think that is a bigger problem at 5/10 than at 3/6..

[/ QUOTE ]

I capping AQ is standard for me unless I have a reason not to cap it. In this situation, the only reason not to cap is deception and I don't think deception severs you well in position with this particular hand. In a 3-handed game like this you can't just be capping AK AA-TT. I would cap AJ and ATs here too as my standard play along with 88+ for pairs. Really you should be capping even more then that if you think they’re getting out of line.

As to being 22/15, I don't think that's optimal in the games you’re playing. We essentially play in the same games on the same sites and I'm 26/18. I can't remember seeing you make a weak play while I was at the table with you, but most people who've datamined are going to see you as weak. From memory, I think you were like 21/14 from my stats on you over thousands of hands.

I don't think finding folds in hands like the first one is a leak you should be focused on ATM. I’d first fix the obvious leak, you're too tight/passive pf for 5/10. In all likelihood, that’s from problems with stealing and defense.

As to that last hand, this is the kind of spot you would consider calling the 3-bet pf for deception if BB wasn't in there. It's nice that he gave you a BB on the river. Don’t let hands like that bother you. You played it fine and you know it.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would cap this easily pf. I'm not folding the turn either. It's totally possible he does this with AJ/AT/A9 putting you on a lower A.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree except it is pretty random as to whether I will cap this or not.

Edit: Didn't see it's 3 handed. I am like 95% likely to cap here. I am also 100% likely to calldown. You want to fold this 3 handed? Eff that.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:18 AM

3handed you really should be capping this, particularly with BB's dead money coming along for the ride. I also can't find a fold even after that turn, because I definitely expect to see AJ/AQ in there some of the time. I think you lose often, but there's also something to be said for showing a decent opponent in a 3-handed game that you're not going to be pushed around.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 AM

Im the first hand, why arent we raising the flop? Is this too obvious for 5/10 as this would be my standard play. Was the OP going for a raise on the turn?

As the flop was played by the OP i think post flop is fine, though i do agree that capping pre-flop is a good idea 3 handed.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im the first hand, why arent we raising the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I'd play it a lot. Factors it has going for it:

It lets villian fire another barrel with pure air that may fold to a flop raise.

There are few turn cards that will freeze him. He's repping an A, whether he's got it or not, so a turn Q isn't going to scare him into checking, which it might on a flop of 752.

On the flip side of that, there aren't going to be any turn cards that will freeze US up, as a turn A might if we had KJ on a Jxx flop.

We expect to have the best hand very often, so we get more value.

In this 3-handed game we're going to be more aggressive overall, but when tables are more full, you're going to have to do some peeling and then folding to a turn bet. Waiting for the turn with made hands helps balance out your flop calls.

The downside:

When we're crushed, we're going to get b/3b when drawing very slim.

Sometimes he gives up and c/f's the turn or c/c's until he folds, in which case we miss out on some value.

I think we can weight the second negative very lightly. Its 3handed, our opponent is an aggressive player, and he's got the lead. He's not outright giving up very often at all. I also think we can downplay the first negative, since one of our positives for waiting until the turn is that we expect to have the best hand very often. TP2K 3handed is a monster.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im the first hand, why arent we raising the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I'd play it a lot. Factors it has going for it:

It lets villian fire another barrel with pure air that may fold to a flop raise.

There are few turn cards that will freeze him. He's repping an A, whether he's got it or not, so a turn Q isn't going to scare him into checking, which it might on a flop of 752.

On the flip side of that, there aren't going to be any turn cards that will freeze US up, as a turn A might if we had KJ on a Jxx flop.

We expect to have the best hand very often, so we get more value.

In this 3-handed game we're going to be more aggressive overall, but when tables are more full, you're going to have to do some peeling and then folding to a turn bet. Waiting for the turn with made hands helps balance out your flop calls.

The downside:

When we're crushed, we're going to get b/3b when drawing very slim.

Sometimes he gives up and c/f's the turn or c/c's until he folds, in which case we miss out on some value.

I think we can weight the second negative very lightly. Its 3handed, our opponent is an aggressive player, and he's got the lead. He's not outright giving up very often at all. I also think we can downplay the first negative, since one of our positives for waiting until the turn is that we expect to have the best hand very often. TP2K 3handed is a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explaination, that makes things much clearer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]