Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 01:55 AM

Default (2/4) KQ flops huge from BB, then gets big action

Button is 20/11.4/3.6/95
SB is 31/6.6/0.7/165

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

I try to be fairly aggressive with my blind defense, and certainly I have no reason to think that Button is strong so far.

Given position, I see this has possibly a steal raise, and since SB's range can include just about anything, I reraise to take the lead and take some dead money.

On the flop, of course, I'm just continuing with the lead.

The turn I'm starting to wonder wth is going on, since I'm only behind AA, AQ, and Q9. The problem is, I'm not sure if any other hand caps.

When the K came on the river, I could not control my urge to bet. If villain were tighter or less aggro, I'd have check/called or at least only bet/called the river, but I'm thinking in retrospect, I should have check/called the river regardless since it's very unlikely I'm ahead of a hand that caps the turn.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Re: (2/4) KQ flops huge from BB, then gets big action

This isn't a steal, you have a limper in there. Preflop is spewy imo. On the river you're only ahead of 99, if he even calls that flop with it; more likely he has AQ or KQ for the chop.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:12 AM

Ok, I'm a donk, and I clearly need more sleep. Missing the limper in the hand is bad, but missing it when I post the hand is idiotic.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:54 AM

Preflop is a little spewy, but i Like everything else.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is a little spewy, but i Like everything else.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like the turn threebet at all... I actually don't like the river threebet either.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:49 AM

Yeah, I think 3-betting preflop from the blinds is often good to an actual steal. In this hand button may be 'raising light' on an isolation play, etc. However, I think just calling with your KQ is the best option.

I think flop is obviously good...

I like the turn 3-bet. The Button has an AF of 3.6. In my opinion, that is very high for a guy who plays 20% of hands. When he raises the turn, I wouldn't put him on a better hand than ours at this stage. After all, we have trips with a very good kicker. So, I feel confident in the 3-bet. When he caps, then I start to think we may be strugglin' here.

The river card is good for us. Apart from the other queen, it's the best card we could hope for. It puts us ahead of Q9 and 99. And we may have been ahead at the turn anyway. I would bet-call here.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 AM

Preflop - I would have called when the SB called the raise. If Sb folded I would have RR the button.

Flop - Betting out looks good. If you just called in pre-flop then I would go for the c/r.

Turn - Hmmmmmm......A blank hits and villian wakes up? Looks like he nailed the flop and was going for the overcall of the SB I probably would have just b/c instead of re-raising.

River - c/c

Best of luck,
Mygtar
Old 09-28-2006, 09:29 AM

I agree with pf, flop and turn.
But why would you want to bet-call the river? If you check he will bet the river for sure, so wouldn't check-calling be better? Because after betting the river he will normally only raise with better or equal hands.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think 3-betting preflop from the blinds is always good to an actual steal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think 3-betting preflop from the blinds is always good to an actual steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah unless villian is super tight and unaware of position, i'm threebetting here every time.