Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 09:27 PM

Default [3/6] AJs flops trips and never likes it

First orbit at the table. When I was BB the guy who is UTG this hand was on the button where he open-limped otb, called my raise (SB folded) and then folded an AQ7 flop. No reads on anyone else at the table. I have my doubts about every street here.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero folds
Old 09-27-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: [3/6] AJs flops trips and never likes it

If UTG + 1 checks the flush, why would he do that? You are very likely to check through. I am impressed with how you played it.

I 3 bet pre flop. cold call. check. cold call. and that is why i suck.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 PM

pf, meh. i'm 3betting the flop. i would bet the turn. play from there. you understand your turn check will leave you open to get outplayed on the river quite often, right? as far as that goes not 3betting the flop IMO essentially does the same thing. failing to define your hand in that spot is going to leave you not knowing where you are at when the action goes as it did b/c you haven't revealed the strength of your hand. not only does it fail to protect, it loses value as well.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If UTG + 1 checks the flush, why would he do that? You are very likely to check through. I am impressed with how you played it.

I 3 bet pre flop. cold call. check. cold call. and that is why i suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
You threebet an UTG raiser with AJs? I'm folding without a read. A call is fine if you think the table is loose.

I raise the flop. I for sure bet the turn.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:37 PM

James:

[ QUOTE ]
you understand your turn check will leave you open to get outplayed on the river quite often, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning because draws only put in money if they hit, or because worse made hands blow me off the winner? Or both?

FWIW I would insta-bet the turn if the flush didn't hit. Also if somehow BB was magically acting after UTG (because then I could be confident he didn't just try to c/r a turned flush).

I was thinking on the turn that either UTG had turned a boat* or had a 2outer, and that BB either had total crap or turned a flush. So basically I'm WA/WB to both of them and could be plausibly checkraised by either which I have to call down (unless they both raise)? Not saying it's right, just what I was thinking at the time.

JJH3984:

[ QUOTE ]
You threebet an UTG raiser with AJs? I'm folding without a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

The raiser isn't UTG. He's UTG1, raising after a likely fish limped.

*Yeah I know that's a retarded thing to do with AK/KK but a good number of people do it on stars for some reason
Old 09-28-2006, 12:23 AM

without a strong read, i really don't like cold-calling here. You just put yourself in a guessing game when you flop top pair. Here you flopped top trips and you're still confused.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
James:

[ QUOTE ]
you understand your turn check will leave you open to get outplayed on the river quite often, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning because draws only put in money if they hit, or because worse made hands blow me off the winner? Or both?

[/ QUOTE ]

both. why didn't you 3bet the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I would insta-bet the turn if the flush didn't hit. Also if somehow BB was magically acting after UTG (because then I could be confident he didn't just try to c/r a turned flush).

[/ QUOTE ]

this is kind of weak. you bet because you hate giving a free card to the single [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]hands. you bet/call because you have outs to a boat. the pot is big, protect your hand. and again, why didn't you 3bet the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking on the turn that either UTG had turned a boat* or had a 2outer, and that BB either had total crap or turned a flush. So basically I'm WA/WB to both of them and could be plausibly checkraised by either which I have to call down (unless they both raise)? Not saying it's right, just what I was thinking at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

why are they counting on you to bet? what strength have you shown? also, this is not WA/WB because even if you are behind to a boat, flush or AQ, you have outs. it's WA/WB if you have very little chance of improving. and i thought you said UTG1 was isolating a fish or something. why does he have to have AK or AQ here? bet the turn. if raised call a bet trying to improve. maybe call one on the river closing.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:05 PM

Calling preflop EP raiser is a very marginal play, I would fold.
There is no reason in calling flop, 3 bet - charge BB and get information about UTG1.
Your flop ccall puts you in the complete darkness on the turn.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 PM

'grunch'
preflop: Since you have no reads, I would strongly consider folding, but since it's 'suited' a call is not too bad if you think more will come along without raising.
flop: you have trips with a decent kicker and a flush draw, not yours, is possible. 3-bet!
turn: uh oh, but if someone has the flush or AK filled up, why did they check? Do you believe that they would really check hoping you, who has been quiet, would bet, so they can check-raise? Tough call, I figure one more bet is worth putting in. So either I bet here, and fold to a check raise or to a river donk. Other possibility is to check here, and call one on the river.
River: Since you have been passive, you put yourself in a tough position, because they won't see you as strong so they could be betting and raising for either value or as a bluff. Nevertheless, the way you played it, guessing you were already behind on the turn, I agree with the fold here.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Thread over

james:

[ QUOTE ]
why didn't you 3bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about it now I'm not sure. I think this is the biggest mistake this hand (partly because it caused me to make the turn mistake, and partly because it's just playing weak for no reason).

[ QUOTE ]
(other stuff that owns)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

Results for the curious:

UTG1 had ATs and BB had the flush. So at least I got the river right, even though the worst hand raised? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]