Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 05:17 PM

Default PPT Foxwoods 11/7-11/8

It's getting closer to that date, and once again I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about whether it's going to happen or not. Thanks, Richard
Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 PM

Default Re: PPT Foxwoods 11/7-11/8

The Professional Poker LEAGUE (PPL), backed by Las Vegas Sands Corporation, which is chaired by Sheldon Adelson, the 3rd richest man in the U.S. behind Bill Gates and Warren Buffett (because Adelson has "bet the farm" on China, specificially Macau, as the next big gambling destination in the world), will film its "inaugural draft" at the Venetian on October 7.

All 64 players for Season 1 of the PPL have been selected.

I do know that Daniel Negreanu is in.

I also know that Evelyn Ng is in, but Clonie Gowen and Liz Lieu are OUT.

I suspect that Jennifer Harman and Annie Duke are IN, but I also suspect that Kathy Liebert is OUT.

The PPL is positioned as the "PPT-killer", designed so that Season 2 of the PPT will NEVER see the light of day unless WPTE is willing to pay for TV time, which I do NOT believe will happen.

Many of WPTE's "enemies" are involved in the PPL project.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:38 PM

soooo...does this mean there will be no PPT event at Foxwoods? Is the foxwoods event part of season 2?

They're still "guaranteeing" PPT seats to a certain number of people who win WPT seats through their satellites...
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 PM

I do know that Steve Lipscomb was trying to put together a deal to put PPT season 2 on TV, but one of the deals definitely fell through if you believe what Mr. Lipscomb wrote on his blog at tvweek.com:

http://blogs.tvweek.com/?cat=4
Old 09-28-2006, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
soooo...does this mean there will be no PPT event at Foxwoods? Is the foxwoods event part of season 2?

They're still "guaranteeing" PPT seats to a certain number of people who win WPT seats through their satellites...

[/ QUOTE ]

PPT Season 2 will NOT take place until WPTE gets a TV deal done.

Many of WPTE's enemies are working to make sure that WPTE will NEVER get a TV deal done in the U.S. for PPT Season 2 unless WPTE will be willing to pay for its own TV time.

Welcome to the entertainment industry, the "blood sport" of "blood sports", in which the players need to "justify their existence" continuously by doing whatever they can to "screw" their opponents.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:02 AM

I know Rhett Butler was boring, but he played at least 3 or 4 hands all in yet they only showed his bustout hand and even that one they didn't show the action, only the river card.

I'm surprised they didn't juzt skip it altogether and pretend he wasn't there.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Rhett Butler was boring, but he played at least 3 or 4 hands all in yet they only showed his bustout hand and even that one they didn't show the action, only the river card.

I'm surprised they didn't juzt skip it altogether and pretend he wasn't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what happens when you choose to be a "poker player" instead of being an "entertainment talent" when you get TV time.

I would say that over 90% of "poker players" are woefully unprepared to make the instant transition to "entertainment talent" when they are presented with the opportunity.

Most "poker players" don't know how to present themselves in front of TV cameras to maximize their marketability as "entertainment talent".

Those who do know how to play the "entertainment" game, such as "The Grinder", Daniel Negreanu, Jean-Robert Bellande, Tony G., Howard Lederer, Phil Gordon, Annie Duke, Clonie Gowen, and Evelyn Ng, have moved far, far, far ahead of those who don't (i.e. Steve Dannenmann, Stacy Matuson, and Paul Wasicka to name a few.)

Old 09-28-2006, 02:14 PM

Here is the latest from their website:

[ QUOTE ]
We regret to inform you that the PPT Season II schedule of tournaments has been postponed. WPT Enterprises is proud to be a part of the ongoing effort to organize a televised league of qualified poker professionals, and it is with great disappointment that we must delay its progression.
While we continue to negotiate the broadcast of the second season, we have decided to delay these tournaments for the benefit of players who need to make long-term travel arrangements as well as the league itself. We expect to resume filming in 2007. As the poker industry expands, and the television marketplace evolves, we must adapt our business and brand strategies to reflect current market conditions.
Please accept our regrets as we continue to seek out the best venue to further present this unique and ground-breaking series. Thank you for your patience and continued dedication to the great American card game.
More information on the PROFESSIONAL POKER TOURSM, qualified players and updates on our schedule of events can be found at www.pptonline.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

So much for the freeroll.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:28 PM

The Professional Poker LEAGUE (PPL) has officially accomplished its first objective as the "PPT-killer".

I would be very surprised to see the PPT re-surface in the U.S.

As I expected, WPTE will NOT buy its own TV time to air the PPT in the U.S. as long as WPTE is still getting CASH from The Travel Channel to air the WPT. Doing so would devalue the WPT TV product in the U.S. market.

Perhaps the PPT concept might be a better fit when WPTE takes its shot at CHINA in 2008.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Perhaps the PPT concept might be a better fit when WPTE takes its shot at CHINA in 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody drink! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]