Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2006, 03:57 PM

Default bet/fold - when should you use it?

When I have a strong hand but not a monster and I suspect one of my opponents has a better hand, either by slowplaying a monster on the flop or hitting a draw. I go into check call mode on the turn and river. However in a lot of the hand discussions I've been reading people have been recommending bet/folds. I assume the reasoning behind this move is that in small stakes games the biggest mistake players tend to make is calling too much, therefore you are ensuring you don't miss a value bet, but can easily laydown to a raise on a scary board. Also you are not allowing your passive opponents to show down their mediocre hands for free. This is clearly superior to the check call because when you check call the majority of the time you will be ahead when its checked down and behind when you call one more bet. So the check/call strategy makes it much more likely you are getting your money in on the river when you are beaten and not making your opponent pay when they are beaten.

So, my analysis of the bet/fold move is as follows:

I should be more inclined to bet and fold to a raise if:
1. My opponent is a very straightforward player and wouldn't raise unless he has a hand that he thinks is ahead.
2. My opponents tend to be weak and passive.
3. I don't have the pot odds to draw to my outs.
4. I have not laid down a hand to a raise recently.

I should be less inclined to bet/fold and more inclined to check/call if:
1. My opponents are tricky, aggressive, and capable of bluff raising.
2. My opponents are tougher players less likely to call my value bet with mediocre hands.

The bet/fold move really only applies on the turn and river I think, and particularly when you are the raiser and out of position. Possibly it can also be applied on the flop as well in a very small pot.

Does anyone have anything to add?