Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 08:53 AM

Default AK - pot getting big

Hello. UTG+1 has been playing most hands and calling a lot of the time too.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Galilee: $22.50
UTG+1: $24.75
CO: $25
Button: $60.35
SB: $24.75
BB: $20.30

Pre-flop: (6 players) Galilee is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Galilee raises to $1.25</font>, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3.85, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Galilee bets $2.5</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB folds.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($8.85, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Galilee bets $6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises all-in $21</font>

I bet the flop because the board looked harmless, so I suppose a call means he has some kind of made hand. But then the turn king made me think I should just carry on like I've got the best hand.

Do I call? Should I have got to this point in the first place?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Re: AK - pot getting big

If you are cbetting this flop second to act of three (and I would as well) I think you need to pot it. Your bet is just asking to get called by one of them so maximise your chances of taking it down.

On the turn I don't think your hand is good. When someone makes a big turn raise like this its rare for one pair to be enough.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 AM

I only open to $1 here, but aside from that I play things similarly, although I bet nearer pot sized.

You say villain has been calling a lot but no mention of him raising. If he has been raising infrequently then I probably fold here. If he has been making this kind of move fairly often then I am more tempted to call.

If he is passive then I suspect he probably slowplayed a set/2pr.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 AM

I think whether you should call or fold depends on your image on the table.
In general I'd probably rather fold the turn.
The c-bet on the flop in the middle with 2 other players is not great if you know that UTG+1 likes to call. If you c-bet I'd probably bet a bit higher here, probably pot sized. Leading the turn is OK I think
Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 AM

The smoothcalled flop says that villain was calling you down with AK and got there the same time you did.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:18 AM

I think you're pf raise was too large 4bb = Std.

C-betting into people that like to call is not profitable, you should wait until you connect with the the flop then value bet all the way.

You should be trying to control the pot size, TPTK is a good but not great hand and you should try and keep the pot small, check/call or a small blocking bet would have been better on the turn. As played I'd probably fold to that raise.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The smoothcalled flop says that villain was calling you down with AK and got there the same time you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think villain can have a set or straight here ever?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:28 AM

My thought is he has a set that he slow played after the flop. I don't see it being 2 pair unless the guy is an idiot calling your preflop bet with crap. If I'm playing good I think I lay this down, if I'm playing stupid I call stuff like this (and usually end up regretting it).
Old 09-27-2006, 09:36 AM

I called and ended up regretting it.

He had K4.

Thanks for all the replies, esp the stuff about continuation bets.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think villain can have a set or straight here ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My thought is he has a set that he slow played after the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Villian is playing a lot of hands and calling a lot. So far this hand he action has been call pf, call flop. The range of hands he could have here is huge. AK, straight, or set are all a small part of that range IMO. Pair straight draw, two pair, overcards, trash are all in his range here.

Once a passive person raises tho it shows strength, that would lead me to think that you're beaten, espically after the strength that you've shown. If he has a weaker king more than 40% then you can call, however I think it is less likely than this; therefore I fold.

If I thought villian was an idiot, I might be getting the correct odds for a call. Without a solid read though, folding as default move. If the bet sizes had been controlled a little better throughout the hand then this fold wouldn't be as costly/difficult to make.