Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Top NCAA & NBA Prospects in the Class of 2006

That would be this year's incoming freshmen, by the way.

I'm no guru. I've at least read up on and seen videos for all of these guys, but have only seen a handful in person, so take this for what it's worth. Compared to most years, this year's class is exceptionally loaded. Everyone remembers how weak this year's draft was...if it had included this year's class, the quality would've gone from "unbelievably poor" to "very good."

Top 10 NBA Prospects
1. Kevin Durant (SF, Texas)- Best pure basketball build I've ever seen. Perfect height, freakishly long arms (find a picture if you can, he looks like an orangutang), GREAT perimeter shot, outstanding athleticism. If he could learn some KGesque instinct, he could be an all-time great. The only better prospects than KD and Oden are Carmelo, Dwight Howard, and Lebron.

2. Greg Oden (C, Ohio St.)- Yes, I know I'm going to get [censored] for not putting him number 1. He's more of a lumberer than most realize, and he's injury prone. Most of his talent comes from the complete dearth of center talent in the NBA right now, rather than his own merits. With all that said, though, he's still an unbelievable player (he had 4 blocks in like 2 minutes in the All American game with no wrist). If he doesn't end up as one of the NBA's top 3 all time defensive centers, I'll be surprised.

3. Thaddeus Young (SF, Georgia Tech)- Carmelo's build with Jason Forte's (when he was good) smoothness, and better in every way and much bigger. Smooth, in control, ideal build. Very well rounded and should make a smoother transition to the NBA than even Durant, but doesn't have the long term upside.

There's a significant drop here in talent. These 3 + Spencer Hawes, as it looks right now, only seem to have Superstar potential (which I'll define as being Top 2 in their NBA position).

4. Spencer Hawes (C, Washington)- Another extremely talented center that doesn't get the recognition he deserves because of Oden. Needs to put on a lot of weight, but other than that he's extremely skilled (and, unlike most centers, isn't incredibly lazy).

5. Paul Harris (SG, Syracuse)- I didn't follow him as heavily as everyone else in the class at first, but when I did I was surprised. He's head and shoulders above Wayne Ellington in my opinion, especially offensively. Unbelievable feel for the game, the best body control in the class outside of Young, and one of the best mid range jumpers it a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up a Dwayne Wade player, only less talented around the basket and more talented at 12+ feet. Good competitor and very versatile. Really underrated in my opinion (and I hate 'cuse).

6. Javaris Crittenton (PG, GA Tech)- Steve Francis reincarnated. Size, speed, and quickness combination is fantastic in a league that's going to see a rise of big guards. Along with Paul Harris, I can see a lot of endorsement deals going this way.

7. Darrell Arthur (PF, Kansas)- Might be a prick but a really talented forward. One of the most well-rounded to come along in ages, although he often relies a little too much on his mid range.

8. Gerald Henderson (SG, Dook)- Outside of being a Dook recruit, I can't find anything to dislike. Probably the most aggressive player in this top 10 (Sherron Collins gets that nod for the class as a whole), but it's a definite positive because of his outstanding feel for mismatches and great athleticism.

9. Derrick Jasper (Kentucky)- If you took an NBA coach, sat him in front of an NBA 2K-like game and asked him to design his ideal point guard, it would look a lot like Jasper. He's big, 6'5"-6'5" and beefy. Like Deron Williams but taller, and much more athletic. Too unselfish, and will likely never get the kind of acclaim that a Crittenton type player will because he's just "good," not oustanding, offensively. Could end up being the NBA's best defensive guard. Like his teammate Jodie Meeks below, perfect fundamentals.

10. Brandan Wright (PF, UNC)- Most people probably have him much higher because of his potential, but he's still got a long ways to go to hit his potential. Very long, soft handed, agile, and solid fundamentals. Needs to pack on a lot of weight and step up the intensity a bunch, though.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Top NCAA & NBA Prospects in the Class of 2006

Top 10 NCAA Prospects
Obviously if many of the above stayed longer than 1-2 years they'd make this list. Since most won't, this will look a lot different. This will probably cause a lot more controversy than the NBA list because it isn't as loaded with talent; that's deliberate, since I expect most of these guys to stay for 3 years.

1. Tywon Lawson (PG, UNC)- Just fun to watch. One of the fastest people I've ever seen, great ballhandler in traffic, from Carolina...almost could not fit the UNC system any better. Very good instincts as well.

2. Jon Scheyer (Dook)- I hate him but he's good. His bad defense and lack of height will prevent him from going to the NBA early (re: JJ Redick) but he might make it there eventually because of his great shooting (re: JJ Redick). He's not quite a JJ clone; he's not as good a shooter but he's MUCH more developed within the arc than Redick was. In any other system, he might not flourish, but he certainly will in Dook's.

3. Jodie Meeks (Kentucky)- Perhaps the most "grounded" player to be ranked as high as he is. Extremely athletic, though just a shade below top notch. Great dribble drive but needs some work on his passing and perimeter shot. Fundamentals are perfect (80%+ FT shooter). Tubby might hold him back from exploding by focusing on his defense, which will probably keep him in college a little extra while.

4. Lance Thomas (F, Dook)- Think Sheldon Williams, but shorter, more athletic, much better perimeter game, worse defense, not as long. Meat and potatoes, hard working player.

5. Robin Lopez (PF/C, Stanford)- Not as skilled as Brook (who'll probably declare earlier), but still extremely talented defensive forward with ideal size. Not a lot of shots will get by without his having something to do with it, and his athleticism and size should help his average offensive game out.

6. Duke Crews (PF, Tennessee)- If he were 2-3 inches taller he'd be a lottery pick. But as it is he's 6'7" and will be in college quite awhile. Incredibly intense, almost scary to see him play, and very hard working. Quick, athletic, good rebounder and finishes well inside. Kind of looks like he wants to kill you; white people should be scared.

7. Derrick Caracter (C, Louisville)- Guys as fat as him shouldn't be able to shoot as well from the perimeter as he does. Also an incredibly adept passer. Just has a good feel for the game, but the weight issue will keep him down until he fixes it. Fortunately for him, he's got Rick "make Mills lose 30 lbs in 3 weeks" Pitino as his coach.

8. Scottie Reynolds (PG, Villanova)- If there's a trend among all of these players, it's that they've picked systems that they can thrive in. Reynolds might have the best (funny, since he originally chose Oklahoma). Quick, great shooter, hustler, but not quite skilled enough to go to the NBA right away..

9. Obi Muonelo (Okla. St.) - Another good system player. Every few years a great college guard pops out of Oklahoma St. and he could be the next. Among the most athletic in the class and great at creating his own shot (although he's a much better set shooter).

10. James Keefe (PF, UCLA)- Great rebounder and good all around player, but doesn't have enough upside to make it to the NBA right away. Could stay in UCLA for several decades like Kapono did. Good frame and unselfish.

Notable exceptions from the lists: For Arizona fans upset about the lack of Chase Budinger, I think he'll probably declare after one year (too soon to leave a huge impact) but never be a great NBA player because his biggest skill (transition) will largely be negated, and his defense is suspect. He's not a great half court player either.
UConn fans, Hasheem Thabeet is still just a big raw African dude to me, and way too many (e.g. Shagari Alleyne) have failed in the past for me to jump on the bandwagon yet. UNC fans, Ellington is an honorable mention on both lists, but like Budinger I don't think he'll be in college long enough to leave a lasting mark, nor do I think he has serious NBA all world potential. Same goes for Stanley Robinson. Ohio State fans, Daequan Cook needs to learn to do something other than shoot. I predict him to be the biggest bust in the class. Mike Conley could very easily have made my list but there's just too many good guards around.

That's abouut it.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:53 PM

I would've been VERY surprised if JCritt had gone pro out of high school. I would still be moderately surprised if he does it after one year at GT. Young's GONE though. Hope we can run this stacked team into a hometown final 4.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would've been VERY surprised if JCritt had gone pro out of high school. I would still be moderately surprised if he does it after one year at GT. Young's GONE though. Hope we can run this stacked team into a hometown final 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I implied the first (I can't remember if I did and I'm too lazy to check), I didn't mean to. I definately see J Critt as being a prototypical one-and-done though.