Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 09:15 PM

Default 100NL player at Party: Can I play 2-5NL at Mandalay Bay?

I will be there in November with the poker rate so have to play a couple hrs a day.

How does the 2-5 NL game there compare to .5/1 NL online as that is my current level?

Or would you suggest I stick to the limit games instead?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Re: 100NL player at Party: Can I play 2-5NL at Mandalay Bay?

I'm not sure about Mandalay Bay because I've never played there, but $2-5 NL live games can vary between a table full of complete donks or a decent table with maybe a few local grinders. One thing I would worry about in your case is will you feel comfortable with the betting amounts. You are used to $100 buy ins with $.50-1 blinds and average pot sizes of $15. This game at the MBay will probably have an average buy in of at least $500, with bigger blinds and much, much bigger pots. I'd just say be mentally prepared for higher betting and make sure you don't play scared. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the post. I have gotten to the point now that $200 pots don't bother me and I am playing 6 or 9 tables at once so sometimes have $1000+ in play but obviously spread out over 9 tables. Not the same thing but just thouught I would mention it.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:58 PM

you'll crush it.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 PM

They actually play 2/4 at Mandalay, not 2/5. I've played the game several times and it's always been ungodly good. You'll be fine.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 PM

Are they doing must move on the 2/4 games, they did that to me at the 1/2 NL last time I played there, I hate must move games.

Limit wise I assume it's still just 4/8 there, and not exactly a big room, so waits are not uncommon there.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 AM

I played the 2-4 NL game last April for the room rate while my gf was out visiting; it's one of my favorite games in Vegas and the room was the nicest I've stayed in as well. (Well. . . the others were Excal and Stardust . . . )

The game is a little funny as it's a capped 200 dollar buy in, and they'll often start you off at a 'must move' game where you'll stay only until a seat is open at one of the longer-running main tables. The combination of the small-buy in and the frenzied pace results in a lot of all-ins, so be prepared with more than a couple of buyins and you should be fine. The game tends to attract plenty of wealthy businessmen in town for conferences; it's generally significantly easier than most 2-5 games in town.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you'll crush it.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you play 6 max online, just beware the adjustment to full ring...i initially tried to run over the game too much with nothing...
Old 09-27-2006, 12:56 AM

I've heard that they (like Bellagio) have upped their buy-ins to a more reasonable level (like 400 or 500 for the 2/4 and 1k for the 5/10).

The games are supposedly pretty good as well.

I've elected to not play there again until they lose some of their fascist tendencies however. They trooly are the soup Nazis of the Vegas poker community.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 AM

That is about the worst thing you can do in these games. For the most part these games are full of guys that have no clue about domination or basic odds. Just nut peddle and if you are up against a guy that seems like he understands draw percentages maybe semi bluff. I can't tell you how many AJ/10 off guys will call an all in on flop with the ace hitting the board.......