Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 07:52 PM

Default smoking pot and poker

I play mid-limit stud, omaha and hold-em all over town. My favorite place is the Commerce where you can find me at the 10/20 nl, 20/40 stud, hold-em and working out at the 200, 300/500 nl at the Bike (300/500 has to be one of the best small/mid limit nl around).

I was curious what the "favorite" sativa strain for you is. I'm a light smoker, about an 1/8th or so a month and I'm looking for a strain that lends itself well to logical thinking. I've been a successful poker player for almost 10 years and have tried a few high sativa strains. They seem to do well in terms of creativity and recall. I'm looking for some strains that you have tried that help you with these two very important aspects of poker. I'm also looking for some general experinces you guys have while smoking and playing and how you think it may help or hinder your processes at the table. Thanks guys!

normaljoe-
Old 09-26-2006, 09:30 PM

Default Re: smoking pot and poker

While I can't say I would smoke before live play, I have often taken a puff or two during a long night session or tourney when I am card-dead or just stuck and am having a hard time staying patient. That's really the only time I find it useful. Other than that, I wait until I'm done playing because for me....being as coherant as possible is the key to success. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 AM

When I did smoke pot, I had generally postive results in regards to poker. I dunno, it just put me more 'in the moment'... my reads were generally right on, and my creativity was on a different level. I don't know if I'd say it HELPED me a whole lot, but it definately didn't hurt. I was at a home game once, a sit n go tournament, where we all got high before the heads up (It was me and the host). 10 minutes in, I hit a royal flush on the turn, and he pushes in on me. It was my first royal flush ever, and I won the tourney with it. My friend pointed out that if we didn't all go smoke, that hand would never have happened.

That being said, I recenlty quit the ganja. I felt it was taking more than it was giving. That's just me, though.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:13 AM

the big disadvantage is your memory of course.

eg : If you can't remember what a player did two orbits back when raised on the big blind, you're at a big disadvantage.

I think it's a bad idea to smoke and play, smoke after the game if you want.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:41 AM

Anyone that smokes pot or does any other kind of drug other then prescribed by a doctor is an idiot. plain and simple. any post describing or talking about it should not be allowed. you have to be a moron to do drugs
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that smokes pot or does any other kind of drug other then prescribed by a doctor is an idiot. plain and simple. any post describing or talking about it should not be allowed. you have to be a moron to do drugs

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say, I LOL'd at this reply.

So I guess it's okay to smoke up if prescribed by your doctor?

The majority of people addicted to drugs are addicted to prescription medication. Ever heard of 'doctor shopping'?

Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly, but your post comes across in a condescending manner.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 AM

If you're a 13 year old girl and have been smoking pot, don't ride your bike.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol ignorantaments.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the [censored] doctors prescribe is worse for you than smoking pot.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with absolutely none of this.