Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 11:01 AM

Default The Bible

I found this quote by one of my former engineering professors. Just thought I would post it here to see what kind of reaction it gets.

Well, it's my honest opinion, that be you Christian, Atheist or just about any other persuasion, you're really not well educated unless you've read the Bible. Cover to cover. Not because I think it would convert people, but because our entire way of life in the western world is based upon it and cannot truly be understood without reading the reference upon which it is built. Plus, it's better than any mystery novel I ever read. I love Science Fiction, and Engineering texts, but they really don't hold a candle to the writing skills and thrills and chills of the Bible. I got about half way through the old testament and couldn't help but root for the good guys, and wonder how they could be so foolish as to do some of the things they did, against strict orders, and with such obvious consequences. And how the old testament rituals that even the Patriarchs questioned were such obvious precursors to the new testament, which at that time they couldn't see. Fascinating correlations.

So my first vote would be a leisurely stroll through that book which your ancestors held sacred, for which they worked, and fought, and died, and found hope, and peace. A book that you wouldn't dare read in public in half the world because they would kill you on the spot. What a privilege to be able to study it unmolested. A book that half your professors would consider you an idiot to take seriously - but since half of your professors are idiots, that's understandable. The most widely purchased, published, quoted, read, longest running best seller on the face of the earth - unthinkable that a person with a degree in any field would consider themselves educated without having read it.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Re: The Bible

It would be more appropriate on book review site?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:23 PM

He seemed just mildy retarded until this part

[ QUOTE ]
A book that half your professors would consider you an idiot to take seriously - but since half of your professors are idiots, that's understandable.

[/ QUOTE ]

and I would say that, no, unless you're particular field of study has something to do with the Bible or religion, it's not extrememly important to read the Bible.

just because over a billion Muslims have been "duped" by the Quran, does that mean that everyone should read that cover to cover as well?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 PM

Reminds me not to look to engineering profs for book reviews.
Still, he's certainly entitled to his taste in reading. I would have preferred that he got his historical and political facts correct, factual inaccuracy is a bit scary in a engineering prof.

luckyme
Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just because over a billion Muslims have been "duped" by the Quran, does that mean that everyone should read that cover to cover as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not read the Quran. But I have a friend whose opinion I value. He's read the Koran and says its quite a beautiful book.

I've read quite a bit of the Bible throughout my life and it is a clunky book with a lot of filler.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A book that half your professors would consider you an idiot to take seriously - but since half of your professors are idiots, that's understandable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, the idiots are the OTHER half... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're really not well educated unless you've read the Bible. Cover to cover. Not because I think it would convert people, but because our entire way of life in the western world is based upon it

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't our western way of life founded on the OPPOSITION to theocracy?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't our western way of life founded on the
OPPOSITION to theocracy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only Nixon could go to China.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're really not well educated unless you've read the Bible. Cover to cover. Not because I think it would convert people, but because our entire way of life in the western world is based upon it

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't our western way of life founded on the OPPOSITION to theocracy?

[/ QUOTE ]
What does that have to do with reading the Bible?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:33 PM

I'm an English major and athiest, and I approve this message.

However, because almost every Western author until about a hundred years ago crammed a ton of biblical references into their work, doesn't mean that it validates the Bible as true, which is what I'm sure your point is in posting this.