Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 09:19 AM

Default Simple things that really do seem to make ssnl more profitable.

i have been applying myself a lot more in my cash game play and using a lot of the advice here.

I would like to regurgitate and hopefully add a little something for unprofitable players at the ssnl level. My advice is general and for Full Ring.

I will list some things that are monemakers/money savers at this level. Please feel to add, or critique.

1: Don't play AJ pretty much ever in a FR game unless you are getting in for free or against a total donk. AJ sucks. It sucks from every position.

2: Pot sized bets are your freind. Donks see 3/4 times bets as cont bets. Pot sized bets are scarier.

3: Mix in calls(Limps) and raises with hands like KQs, but make sure to take opp's stacks into acct. no need ot set mine against a shortly who can't pay you off enough to warrant the call.

4: an all in river push is rarely a bluff. Play big hand poker here 99% of the time. if there is a flush or hidden straight on the board your opp got there, or has a set more often than not.

5: Min bets into decent pots are generally weak and should be raised.

6: when there is a FD or STr8 draw on the board and it misses on the river, even if you were on a draw it is often profitable to bet the river. SS players are usually trying to hit big and push into you they will rarely if ever play back at you without a hand here.

go nuts.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Simple things that really do seem to make ssnl more profitable.

Nice post. Especially 3 and 5. I might disagree about 2 to some extent.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:30 AM

whip, i like the pot sized bet, it prices out draws(which will call anyway building the pot for you) and only scares away some marginal holdings.

One thing i have also tried to do lately is bet the same amt regardless of holding. If i am gettign tricky with Q10s from the button and the flop comes K87R, potsized bet. If i have KK and the flop comes J42r, Pot sized bet.

Really gives folks a hard time. There should be no notes on me based on betsizing, aside from , Likes to bet pot, lol.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1: Don't play AJ pretty much ever in a FR game unless you are getting in for free or against a total donk. AJ sucks. It sucks from every position.

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ is fine in position, especially suited just don't get married to it if you take a flop 5 handed. No reason not to raise it up if its 1 limper to you.

[ QUOTE ]
2: Pot sized bets are your freind. Donks see 3/4 times bets as cont bets. Pot sized bets are scarier.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mantra!

[ QUOTE ]
3: Mix in calls(Limps) and raises with hands like KQs, but make sure to take opp's stacks into acct. no need ot set mine against a shortly who can't pay you off enough to warrant the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not my style but don't see anything wrong with it. Personally I'm raising it up if I'm first in.

[ QUOTE ]
4: an all in river push is rarely a bluff. Play big hand poker here 99% of the time. if there is a flush or hidden straight on the board your opp got there, or has a set more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine so long as people don't take it too far. There is no replacement for an actual read.

[ QUOTE ]
5: Min bets into decent pots are generally weak and should be raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
6: when there is a FD or STr8 draw on the board and it misses on the river, even if you were on a draw it is often profitable to bet the river. SS players are usually trying to hit big and push into you they will rarely if ever play back at you without a hand here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to size your bet such that you don't give a slow player too much value but you still fold out the calling machines' draws. I find 1/3 pot to work quite well here.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:39 AM

degen,

I totally agree that you should always bet the same amount whether you have air or a monster. I play a lot on UB where they have the handy Bet Pot button, and from my experience players give little respect to someone who they perceive is just pounding on the BP button to get others to fold. In my experience, a bet of slightly less than the pot (for example $18.50 into a $20 pot) gets more respect as a CB.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM

Nice post. I don't necessarily agree with no 2, either. I prefer to fire 2nd barrels against frequent floaters, but that just might be amatter of preference.

Let me add:
7: When there is a FD or Straight draw on the board which misses on the river, and you're OOP, check to the drawer if you have a relatively good hand to encourage a bluff from the draws. This also will encourage bets from marginal hands.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM

nice input AV.

I have another one:

7: Play WAY tighter than you want to. This advice again, is mostly for beginners and unprofitable players. STOP playing so many hands. You are notgood enough to play laggy, or you'd be profitable. This game is beatable by playing straightforward ABC poker at the SS levels. Suited connectors ar rarely a good call/raise hand. To mix it up fine, but Very rare. I will call with SC either on in the SB or BB with multiple limpers, or a minraised pot with multi callers. or on occasion i'll raise out of the cutoff or the button to vary my cgame a bit. otherwise, automuck. This has saved me a billion dollars lol. No need to catch FPS, which i used ot have chronicly(SP).
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 AM

KAZ, excellent advice on the check to induce the bluff. This is a moneymaker for sure. But you need a decent hand here, maybe a TPMK type of hand.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Suited connectors ar rarely a good call/raise hand. To mix it up fine, but Very rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. Suited connectors in position are gold at these levels, because there's alot of miniraising and minibetting going on. Most of your opponents don't know anything about giving poor odds to players that are drawing. Often you'll have the right odds to draw to your straight or flush. Even if you have a poor hand, staying in the hand and hoping for improvement can often be right because of their poor betting habits. When you hit your straight/flush you'll be able to get a lot of money in the pot with your nuts because most of these players don't believe you or just don't like to fold.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 PM

this is bad advice and will just confuse beginners/unprofitable players.

I intended this to be more of a bread and butter, 10 commandments type thing.

Playing tricky cards for deception is worthless most times at this level, and VERY hazardous to a player who doesn't have a good grasp on the game.

I'd say hand selection PF leads to most beginners losses.