Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 07:27 AM

Default How to be a retard on the bubble of a satellite.

OK, i have manually input the pertinant data.

Here's the set-up. I am playing the $3R Satellite on Bodog. 45 people entered, there are 4 left. Top 2 get $109 in T$ 3rd gets $58.

The BB is a Hyper Aggro player who has been pushing over top of me constantly. I have been picking my spots and generally folding to all resistance. As for reads on the guy, i think he is a pretty bad player. i have seen him make some bad calls, raises etc.

Bodog No-Limit Hold'em Satellite, Big Blind is t6000

Hero (t200000)
Button (t200000)
SB(t90000)
BB (600000)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, J.
Hero raises to t18000, 2 folds, BB raises to t60000, Hero raises to 200000.BB calls.

There you go, I butchered it. I made a big mistake. I have been thinking about it since i did it. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Please discuss.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:37 AM

Default Re: How to be a retard on the bubble of a satellite.

Sats aren't really my thing but I think I limp in here. As played, I'm calling the raise. I don't understand why you're three betting JJ all in against the chip leader.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 AM

Reg, Sat's aren't my thing either. I am tryign to start playing sats because i think i am leaving money on the table by not playing them.

As for 3 betting the CL here, it was dumb. The reason was he was hyper aggro and pushing me around. i fully expected a fold here or a call and me beign way ahead. I'd put his range on 22+ A8+.

But, now that i am thinking clearly(not in the heat of the moment), i think his holdings and mine are irrelevant. I should have been playing the situation not the cards/player. The next person out gets zip.

Dumb play. Hopefully a lesson for next time.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 AM

I know it's tempting to make a statement when you have been getting bullied, but the move here is to call.

If you get a copy of Sklansky's 'Tournament Poker For Advanced Players' he says that this is a poor move, as you are massively increasing the EV of the two small stacks. From being favourite to bubble, they have both gone into the money without playing a hand, and were guaranteed of that once the two of you have pushed in.

The other factor to consider, is that as you considered yourself the better player, you should have tried to avoid coinflip situations, which this sounds like (at best)

We've all done it though!!