Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 12:00 AM

Default JJ OOP

No real reads, everyone seems relatively in line. I think if he calls my flop bet, I'm way behind. Otherwise, if he has something like AQ or maybe QQ, I take the pot down right there.

Is PF too weak?

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $2/$4
6 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $360.30
UTG+1: $200.60
CO: $175.15
Button: $426.10
SB: $311.90
Hero: $194.40

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $18</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($42, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $42</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($126, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $135</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $135 returned to Button.

River: : ($126, 2 players)

Results:
Final pot: $126
Old 09-26-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Re: JJ OOP

I think a reraise preflop here is almost mandatory.

The Doc
Old 09-26-2006, 12:08 AM

Let's say I repop it to $40. If he calls and the flop comes down the same way, do I lead out with 2/3 pot bet or should I check/fold?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:10 AM

If it's not clear already, I think I'm really struggling with my OOP play.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say I repop it to $40. If he calls and the flop comes down the same way, do I lead out with 2/3 pot bet or should I check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

This flop is a touch out of the ordinary because its paired, so IF you had AA or AK you would be in a way ahead/way behind situation, and might bet less than you ordinarily would (like 1/2 pot bets intsead of 2/3rd pot bets, etc).

Typically when I reraise preflop OOP I'm leading the flop almost no matter what. I get a fold a very high % of the time. However I'm finding out now that checking every so often is good too for those times when I flop a monster and want to trap.

Not to get off the point, in this situation if I repopped to $40 and got called, I'd be leading the turn for $60 almost always.

The Doc
Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you're typical rr's are a bit more than 2x you are better of moving down and reading ssnl. going to $40 is just going to make the hand harder to play as now you've defined your hand oop and are always going to get called.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:13 AM

your flop lead sucks man. and if you do decide to lead theres no need to lead for full pot.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your flop lead sucks man. and if you do decide to lead theres no need to lead for full pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it suck only because I didn't RR PF? Or does it suck in either case, even for 3/4 pot?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it suck only because I didn't RR PF? Or does it suck in either case, even for 3/4 pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

it sucks because of the flop texture. If you had KQ,AK or better, would you ever lead for full pot into the pfr?

your lead is transparent, to try and take the hand down with a weak/medium strength hand that can't stand any heat.

with this hand, i would obvi. reraise preflop, but if for some reason i didn't, i think c/c the flop and c/f the turn. Most people wouldn't assume your floating this flop oop, so they wouldn't double barrell much.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:47 AM

Calling and reraising should be dependent on the frequency that villan is entering the pot on a raise, and of course skewed to adjust for his position, however, reraising generally should be done with a hand as strong preflop and weak postflop as jacks, with the action thus far. Given the way you played I actually think your bet is fine, maybe a little less, but I think once he calls you need to shut down. Also if you had reraised him, you could have made a smaller sized bet and almost assuredly narrowed his hand range.