Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Should I buy myself Hair Transplant Surgery?

I'm not bald, but I've got a receding hairline and a very thin hair region on top. My hair is average where I work and below average in my grad school program. And damn I wish it were better. Money is not an obstacle, by the way.

I tried Rogaine for about a year, with moderate-to-weak results on top. It doesn't do anything about the receding hairline (nor do they claim it does). Neither does Propecia, and I don't want ingest a pill for decades just to have a receding hairline anyway.

Everything I've read or seen, which isn't much, says that hair transplant surgery is by far the most effective treatment. My only fears are:

1. Looking really stupid short-term.
2. Looking really stupid long-term.

Anyone here have any experience? Anyone know good books or websites to do research? How the hell do I get a recommendation of a surgeon who won't botch the job when no one admits to having had the surgery??
Old 09-25-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Should I buy myself Hair Transplant Surgery?

I suggest you just try to come to terms with the inevitable.

If you come to accept yourself the way you are (with hair or no hair), and you don't care about it, other people won't either.

I have seen a number of people with hair transplant surgery, and I always think that it looks like the hair on a doll.

There is nothing wrong with being bald. It happens to a lot of men. Yet all these men date and get married.

If you don't care that you are bald, neither will the women. Just make sure you have game. That it all you need.

Colima420
Old 09-25-2006, 09:35 PM

From what I've read hair transplant surgery has come a LONG way. Like you can't even tell anymore.

Why don't you just start shaving your head, then in years when most of your hair is gone you can say I've been doing it for looks for the last 20 years?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:35 PM

Just shave your head. Transplants and pills are such a waste of time and mobney.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I suggest you just try to come to terms with the inevitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm grappling with this. I have for over a decade. It ain't easy!

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen a number of people with hair transplant surgery, and I always think that it looks like the hair on a doll.

[/ QUOTE ] I've seen it too, and that's what's got me worried. But I also live out in Los Angeles, and from the rumors I've heard, MANY male tv and movie stars have had successful transplant surgeries. So successful that no one knows at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Just make sure you have game. That it all you need.

[/ QUOTE ] Actually, I'm married. I had game. And in pretty much every other respect in life, I still have "game." I just haven't had a really good hair day in 10 years.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I've read hair transplant surgery has come a LONG way. Like you can't even tell anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly what I've heard too. Something about a new procedure started about 5 years ago called "microfollicle" transplants.

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you just start shaving your head, then in years when most of your hair is gone you can say I've been doing it for looks for the last 20 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried the shaved head look. I actually thought it looked pretty cool, but my wife really hated it. I'm pretty f'n white (serious "studio tan"), so I can see her point.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 PM

Out of curiosity, how much does the surgery cost? TME, surgery is the only way to fix a receding hairline.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:30 AM

There are a lot of bald people around, so nobody notices them **unless** they are trying to cover up the fact they are bald/balding. Just go softly into that good night pal.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:05 AM

It's a personal decision, so none of us can decide for you. The surgeons do good work, but there's an embarassment factor. Some of the famous people I have heard of who've had it done are:

Steven Segal
Kenny Rogers
Clint Eastwood
Burt Reynolds
Gunnar Nelson

And probably tons more who don't admit it. On the reverse side, plenty of guys have gone the 'just deal with it' route:

Bruce Willis
Ed Harris
Ron Howard
Sean Connery
Yul Brynner
etc. etc.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:13 AM

Eff the hair.