Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 01:46 PM

Default Monster monthly Kings on the bubble

I witnessed this interesting hand when on the bubble of the monster monthly. There were 1031 players remaining, top 1000 get a seat valued at around $2000-$4000. The actual cash payout for the monthly is very top heavy (1st place $125,000, 10th place $2,000, 1000th place $400).

Player A is sb and has around 45K, blinds are 3-6K, the big blind covers. Folded to Player A who has KK. What do you recommend and how close is it. (Easy Push, Close Push, Close Fold, Easy Fold)

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Monster monthly Kings on the bubble

I kinda suck, but this smells like the easiest push ever?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this smells like the easiest fold ever?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2006, 01:53 PM

very easy push
Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very easy push

[/ QUOTE ]

lol sataments

I guess I need to explain, so, ok: you are guaranteed something like 8'th or 9'th place money if you pass up...let's say 9K chips in EV with 102x people left. How much do you think those 9K chips are worth once ITM? How much do you think 45K chips are worth once ITM?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Results

sb pushed, bb thought for some time and even though he barely had the sb covered decided to call with QQ. Queen on the flop sent the sb packing just out of the money.

You guys saying easy push do realize that 10th place and 1000th place essentially pay the same amount, and you are going to need to accumulate a TON of chips to make the final table anyway. I open folded AA a few hands earlier since it was obvious I could fold to the bubble.

Seems like satellites are the type of tournament where otherwise great players often make HUGE mistakes. It feels weird to say it, but IMO that KK push was a huge error.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
sb pushed, bb thought for some time and even though he barely had the sb covered decided to call with QQ. Queen on the flop sent the sb packing just out of the money.

You guys saying easy push do realize that 10th place and 1000th place essentially pay the same amount, and you are going to need to accumulate a TON of chips to make the final table anyway. I open folded AA a few hands earlier since it was obvious I could fold to the bubble.

Seems like satellites are the type of tournament where otherwise great players often make HUGE mistakes. It feels weird to say it, but IMO that KK push was a huge error.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Huge error was open folding the Aces, not pushing these kings. You were WAY ahead and got outdrawn, that is not a mistake. You aren't even guaranteed to fold ITM, people are going to play tighter and tighter as it gets closer to the bubble. Results oriented....?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Huge error was open folding the Aces, not pushing these kings. You were WAY ahead and got outdrawn, that is not a mistake. You aren't even guaranteed to fold ITM, people are going to play tighter and tighter as it gets closer to the bubble. Results oriented....?

[/ QUOTE ]

read post above his pls
Old 09-25-2006, 02:21 PM

I didn't push the kings, a guy at my table did, and although he got unlucky, he also made a huge mistake as he COULD easily fold into the top 1000.

With regards to open folding aces, I was keeping a close eye on how fast players were dropping and I correctly open folded aces because I knew with 100% certainty that I would make the top 1000 if I folded everything. I also was fairly certain that some of the players who covered me had calling ranges which included other big pairs besides aces. This was not a time to take any risks, even if I would be going in as an 80-20 fave.

If there were any chance my stack was not going to carry me through the bubble, then pushing some hands would have been correct. This was not the case though.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:52 PM

In satellite type tourney in which 10 - 1000th pretty much get same prize and you are 100% sure that you can fold into money, then it makes very clear sense folding AA. Allot of players just cant seem to see this logic.

Sometimes it just doesnt make sense to gamble. Why take any odds 80/20 even 90/10 when your odds if you fold in bubble are 100/100.