Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Default The Italian Pirate

I've heard of this guy, and he is probably a very good player, but I think the nickname has got to go.

Italian Pirate
Old 01-27-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: The Italian Pirate

Yes, he's good, and from what I've seen and heard, a nice guy, too.

Never heard the nickname until now, but I assume it comes from the fact that he likes to wear an Italian flag-colored bandana around his head, like a do-rag.

Stupid nickname, I agree, especially if it is for the reason above.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:53 PM

He made a WSOP Circuit FT, I remember seeing them do a bio on him on it.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:45 PM

Pirates kick ass.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:37 PM

they should call him "il pirata"
Old 01-28-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he likes to wear an Italian flag-colored bandana around his head, like a do-rag.

Stupid nickname, I agree, especially if it is for the reason above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, it's not for that reason. He actually sails a boat around the Adriatic Sea ... plundering ... pillaging ...
Old 01-28-2006, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nh [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2006, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 01-29-2006, 12:18 AM

FWIW - I thought I remembered a remark made on one of the shows about MP stealing blinds and since the doo-rag-flag made someone think of a pirate, Italian Pirate was coined.

Nothing better to do, so I googled. Kept coming up with this tournament report (it's on hundreds of web pages)...

Event #12 - WSOP Pot Limit Omaha
June 13, 2005

5th Place: Max Pescatori's poker nickname is 'the Italian Pirate' because, frankly, he looks exactly like one. The bandana-wrapped poker player from Milano set sail with only 62,000 in chips and was blown out of the water about two hours into the finale. It was Mutiny on the Bounty for 'the Pirate,' who called with his last 26,000 in chips, holding a pocket overpair on the flop (queens). But new chip leader Arieh completed a straight on the turn which left 'the Pirate' drawing dead. Pescatori sank in 6th place, thus earning a treasure chest totaling $69,385.

One site had a lot of brief bios on poker pros. This is part of MP's...

The “Italian Pirate” as he is called, mainly because of his trademark headscarf, is a native of Milan who, for the last decade has called Las Vegas his home.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:57 PM

I love Max. I don't mean in that 'I love everyone, kumbaya' way, but I mean I truly love him. Max is one of my best friends. I cannot say enough about him. If one were to read the Pescatori stories on my journal (no ads), he would understand why we are so close.

Something stupid, but I just found out last week why he said that donkey kong thing on his site. Someone made him say it on TV once, because of his accent. Guess they thought it sounded cute in an Italian accent, who knows. Kind of silly, but that is Max, always willing to do things for others, no matter how trivial.

Last week I was sweating Max after he made the money in the NLHE Shootout event at Commerce. He said something to the affect of, "Don't worry about watching, I know how boring it is." After all of the things he has done for me, the only thing he can think of is that I might be bored cheering him on. Always, always, he is thinking of the other guy.

Another example is that I have offered to help him with his site over the past year. Some of the English is wrong, plus he is just so frigging busy, playing in 300 tourneys per year, plus doing the sports betting stuff and the Italian poker site. He finally said it was too much, and he would accept my offer of help. He started talking about paying me. Paying ME! After everything he has done for me in the past two years. Like I would ever accept a cent. That's Max. Once again, always thinking of the other guy.

He reminds me of Ted and Barry in that way. Massive outpourings of concern for other people. I'm blessed to be friends with these guys.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]