Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Can you do something you dislike?

Can you do something that you don't enjoy for a prolong period of time? I mean for many hours on a daily or near daily basis for many months, or hopefully years. If so, can you give an example, with specifics to what it was you did and for how many hours for how long. If not, how long until you burned out?

I'm curious, b/c I'm fascinated by a good successful friend, and some other people I know or have met that speak to me about how important it is to do something that you are absolutely obsessed with or addicted to or are passionate about, "a labor of love". I'm interested in hearing stories about those who have committed many hours of their life to something they don't feel strongly about.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Can you do something you dislike?

I think a lot of people do it. They call it "work."

I'm one of those people {either fortunate, or self-motivated} who actually enjoys what she does for a living. A lot. But, every day I see people going to jobs they don't like day after day, mainly to provide them with the money to do the things they do like. Does that mean they're unhappy? No. They may not like their jobs, but their jobs allow them to pursue happiness in their lives outside of work.

I can't decide whether this is a measure of character strength, to be able to "do what you have to do without turning it into continual drama/crisis" just to get on with life, or if it's a character flaw, that they don't really have the ambition to grab for the brass ring.

I will say that the one thing that tends to make a lot of people the most unhappy is the need to be right about things all the time, or to set their expectations too high, so there is a lot to be said for being able to just endure something without making it any worse for yourself. There's always Miller Time.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:38 PM

I spent almost 13 years doing a job in an environment I did not like. I had a family to support and that job was the best paycheck available at the time. There was no problem, it was something I had to do to provide, my wants came last.

Now, I have a job I really enjoy, and I get great pleasure out of doing it. The irony is without the job I disliked so much I would not have this one.

I suggest if you are young and single find or work towards something that makes you want to get out of bed in the morning and start doing it. The money will follow, at least enough to live on and you will one of the wealthiest people on the planet.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:55 PM

I would turn that around say and that if you can't do something unpleasant for an extended period of time, you are destined to be a failure at career, relationships, and life itself. I've never seen the spoiled brat who demands that school and work always be "fun" amount to anything except in his Daddy's business.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:53 AM

People all over the world do it seven days a week. They work 16 hours a day as farmers in some countries, and I would find it difficult to believe that they actually enjoy every second of it.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:01 AM

I work
Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would turn that around say and that if you can't do something unpleasant for an extended period of time, you are destined to be a failure at career, relationships, and life itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. There are many people whose lives are long term unpleasant because they refuse to accept short term unpleasantness. By exercising their free will in those cases where they can to avoid doing anything they don't like, they end up in situations where their free will is diminished and they are forced into situations and choices where they have no good options.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 AM

Needs before wants. About 99% of the world's population have to live by that. I work, I just luckily like what I do...BUT, if given the choice, who works? Easy answer.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 PM

The vast majority of people actively dislike their jobs. This is perfectly normal.

It is an abberation to be able to do something you actually enjoy for a living; and it is downright silly to expect to be able to do so.

Not that you can't search for that job; just that you shouldn't feel like an utter failure if it never materializes.