Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 10:37 PM

Default HU-Tourn Session $20+1

I usualy play NL cash games but find that I realy enjoy HU sitngo's too. Here is the link to the whole hand history .

Here are some of the key hands. I would like comments on how I can improve my play and any problems you can see with how I am playing.

---------------------------

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Button (t1480)
Hero (t1520)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Button raises to t60</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t180</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>

-----------------------------

Button (t1430)
Hero (t1570)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button calls t10, <font color="red">Hero raises to t80</font>, Button calls t60

Flop: (t180) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: (t180) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets t100</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t300</font>, Button calls t200

River: (t780) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t350</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>

----------------------

Button (t1070)
Hero (t1930)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Button raises to t60</font>, Hero calls t40

Flop: (t130) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100

Turn: (t330) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets t910 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

-----------------

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (2 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Button (t1095)
Hero (t1905)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button calls t15, Hero checks

Flop: (t60) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets t90</font>, Hero calls t90

Turn: (t240) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150

River: (t540) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t220</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>

----------

Hero (t2175)
BB (t825)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t75</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t120</font>, Hero calls t45

Flop: (t285) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150

Turn: (t585) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t555 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

----------

Button (t1095)
Hero (t1905)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Button calls t15, Hero checks

Flop: (t60) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150

Turn: (t360) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets t915 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t915

River: (t2190) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

Results in gray below:
<font color="#f7f7f7">Hero has Qc, 8s (two pair, Aces and Sevens)</font>
<font color="#f7f7f7">Button has 6c, 3s (two pair, Aces and Sevens)</font>

---------

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (2 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t1995)
BB (t1005)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero calls t25, BB checks

Flop: (t100) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t100) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200

River: (t500) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t250</font>, Hero calls t250

Results in gray below:
<font color="#f7f7f7">BB has Kd, 6c (two pair, Queens and Eights)</font>
<font color="#f7f7f7">Hero has Kc, 9d (two pair, Queens and Eights)</font>

--------

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (2 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t2195)
BB (t805)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero calls t25, <font color="red">BB raises to t300</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t805</font>, BB calls t505 (All-in)

Flop: (t1710) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

Turn: (t1710) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t1710) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

Results in gray below:
<font color="#f7f7f7">BB has 6h, Ks (two pair, Kings and Queens)</font>
<font color="#f7f7f7">Hero has Kc, Jh (two pair, Kings and Queens - Jack kicker)</font>

Thats it! Is this too many hands too post?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:12 AM

Default Re: HU-Tourn Session $20+1

On the T6 hand where you flop two pair I reraise at least the minimum after his bet. A lot of cards can come that are bad for you so make him pay to make his hand. The other benefit of reraising is that if he actually has a jack he might push you allin thinking you're on a draw. He could also push with any open ended straight thinking his overcard(s) is/are good.

I think that was a marginal call that hand where he had K6 and you called him down with K high. I look for a better spot.

I raise with aces in the bb instead of slowplaying especially against this type of player. He might think you have ak and try to make a play on the flop.

Overall I think you played good though, I have trouble playing against this type of player.

P.S. I watched the hand history in it's entirety in a replayer so I'm not sure if the hands you posted give justice to how lag villain was playing.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:19 AM

hi kash

Hand 1 = I would raise a little more probably to 240, as i like playing my big hands strong and lots of players will call that extra 60. But if your standard raise has been 180 then it is fine.

Hand 2 = I might lead turn, but i like your line too.

Hand 3 = I might continuation bet as you have lots of outs however, the flop texture is one where people like to re-raise continuation bets, so your line is fine too.

Hand 4 = Lead or check-raise flop is preferable, but check-call then check-raise the turn (which i presume you were going to do until the nasty J came out) is ok too. check-call river, as by betting you are probably only getting worse hands to fold.

Hand 5 = Pre-flop fine, has he min-re-raised before? Is he the kind of player to check the turn after betting the flop or will he fire second bullet regardless of hitting or not? If he has fired second bullet often before then you could possibly lay this down on flop, but that would be quite a tight play. Your line is ok here without reads.

Hand 6 = I presume this is read dependant.

Hand 7 = Again i presume you had a read here, calling down here with king high on the turn is risky, however the river is a very nice card for you.

Hand 8 = were you trapping on purpose here? Had he been raising your limps a lot? If so this is ok, but he is almost certainly calling here and you could easily be behind, but you have the chip lead so even taking a 40/60 isnt too bad.

Hope that helps, but be aware that different players play a lot different in heads up, more so than any other type of game, so my style may be completely different to yours and therefore my advice not as helpful.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:36 AM

From skimming the whole HH:

1. Never fold the SB to such a weak passive opponent

2. Raise preflop for value - he's loose preflop, and folding lots postflop.

3. Play draws more aggressively

On the specific hands you posted:

- Call with QQ, chk to him and hope to pick off a continuation bet. If he has something like A8 on a 842 flop, you'll make a lot more money than you will raising preflop - provided you can get away.

- make more c-bets: he's folding to them

- hate your call on the AA77 board - you're very lucky to see a bluff there, since he has no obvious history of bluffing scare cards. You're doing a good job grinding him down - why risk letting him out easy?

These players are your bread and butter, and you need to learn how to beat them without ever giving them a way out. Not to say you played badly...rather that you risked a bit too much for my liking playing big pots when you could only beat an absolute stone bluff, and didn't take advantage of his weakness as effectively as you could have.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:45 PM

Thank you for all your posts.

The 77AA hand is not a hand that I would normaly just call. I would fold if this was in the beggining of the tourn. but after playing some hands with him I felt that vilan was bluffing here atleast 90% of the time. He overbet the flop which to me signals that he wants a fold. Which could = 7x, 66-22 type hands. Than on the turn he insta pushes? If he has a 7 here I don't see him pushing with a boat since the only hands he can expect to be called with are Ax and 7x. The only hands im now afraid of are Kx, 88-KK. And I feel that he doesn't push with any of those hands, instead he tries to get to a showdown safely. I felt I had an opportunity to end the tourn. right here and decided to do so.

Same reasoning applies to the 86QQ8 I think if he had a boat he would bet more on the river, the small bet seemed like a please don't bluff me bet.

hand #5: I wasn't sure of what to think of his play pre-f. I think that my pre-f bet and flop call had to tell him that I could be holding a decent hand and the fact that he still pushed made me believe that I was beat.

Hand #8: Yes, he was raising a lot when I limped. I beleived that if he raised and I pushed all-in than he would call with a lot of junk hands.