Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 07:43 PM

Default 5/10 Two-pair facing river shove

I'm pretty new to the table, and these aren't familiar faces.
I will sometimes put in a raise on an earlier street but for whatever reason I decided to take this line this time.

Folded to button who minraises.
SB calls, and I call in BB with ATo.

Flop AT2 rainbow, pot $60.
SB leads $55, I call, button folds.

Turn AT2 (4) still rainbow, pot $170.
SB leads $155, I call.

River AT24 (K), pot $480.
SB goes all-in with his $4k stack, I have $800 to call.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:53 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Two-pair facing river shove

stop calling the flop and the turn? Cuz there is no way to know what he has on the river... probably a fold cuz its either air or a hand that beats you
Old 09-24-2006, 09:25 PM

Call.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:01 AM

def raise turn. if he pushes over that you may consider laying it down. flop call is fine if you want the raiser sticking around.

river is more thin, but you've definitely underrepped your hand... on the other hand, you're either crushed or he's on a complete steal. on this board, I lean towards crushed.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:27 AM

Calling the flop is okay because the PFRer is still to act and you donīt want to tell him too early that AK etc is probably no good.
He folds and SB still bets into you on the turn. I think itīs an easy raise here. You want to get more out of A2, A4, AK and you wonīt get much more out of other hands anyways.
He may have a set, itīs not even unlikely because he would probably reraise Preflop with an Ace and may call with a PP but you donīt know him so it could be a lot of hands.
By raising you also know much better where you are. You could easily have a set with that line so I donīt think heīll reraise you with a weaker hand.
Given how you played it, the river looks really bad for you. He probably has AK or a set.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:39 AM

on the river I think it a bit unlikely he'll be pushing with a hand u beat often enough for you to call. I agree with poldi, AK or a set.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:51 AM

This is insanity. Given how you played it (disguising your hand completely), I believe you need to call. From the looks of it I think he thinks that you have something like AJ and will lay it down in a heartbeat to a push.

Call!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
def raise turn. if he pushes over that you may consider laying it down. flop call is fine if you want the raiser sticking around.

river is more thin, but you've definitely underrepped your hand... on the other hand, you're either crushed or he's on a complete steal. on this board, I lean towards crushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading all of the replies I for sure agree with this, but because of the way he played his hand dont you think he has to call? Get shown the set and be sick because of the way you played your hand?

Raise!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading all of the replies I for sure agree with this, but because of the way he played his hand dont you think he has to call? Get shown the set and be sick because of the way you played your hand?

Raise!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero played his hand so weakly that villain may think that he can get him off pretty much ANY hand he could hold when he pushes the river. BUT players that think like that usually are not the minraisers preflop which makes it a lot less likely.
Also there hasnt been a draw on the board and villain bet flop + turn so he doesnt have a busted draw that he might pull this off with.
When he bets the turn he has an Ace or better pretty much every time. With the weaker Aces he may check the river hoping to win in a free showdown, I doubt he is openpushing them to fold a better Ace.
It really makes a whole lot more sense that villain had either a set or AK and now tries to get full value
Old 09-25-2006, 12:25 PM

You need to watch this guy as he might be one of the super aggressive lags who bet all in all the time (sefat rings a bell). However, with no reads this is a fold.

There are no draws except the JQ gutshot.

SB bets turn after a non scare card comes out (i.e he has no reason to think you'd fold an ace at this point)

SB goes all in on river when its clear you don't have JQ and that you probably have some kind of Ace or two pair as you would've raised a set earlier.

all this means that SB almost definitely has a set or AK...and a very small chance of having JQ.

In other words up to the river you're beating a couple hands AQ, AJ maybe A9. but he wouldn't push any of those hands on the river.

So all you're beating now is a pure bluff. Most people don't three barrel pure bluffs on dry boards when they aren't the preflop raiser. he isn't value betting tpgk or a smaller two pair here.