Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 05:47 AM

Default My nemesis...

Two hands against this guy, a 30/20/2.5 type after ~100 hands. You may recall him from my AA Playalong.

Hand 1:
3/6 Limit Holdem Ring game

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (13.5BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Results:
Final pot: 15.5BB

Villains hold cards in white...results added to provide a quasi read for the next hand.
<font color="white"> Villain had Js9s </font>

Hand 2:
3/6 Limit Holdem Ring game

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: 7.5BB

Comments on either hand, and any street welcome.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:06 AM

Default Re: My nemesis...

I'm capping the flop on hand 1.

After seeing what he showed down I'm calling every street on hand 2. No way I'm giving him a chance to push me off my hand. Let him bluff away to his hearts content.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:09 AM

Hand 1,
I would probably fold this pre flop (is that too weak?).

I don't think I like calling here from the SB, by calling you are offering Big blind very good odds to call also. You could then end up out of position against two players.

I think if you are going to play you should 3 bet and so make it far more difficult for the big blind to call. You will also get to see what UTG+1 does, if he caps then you are probably in trouble but if he just calls you could be in good shape.

As played I think I would probably cap the flop, if you are behind you have lots of outs. Going for the check raise on the turn might not work out if it checks through.

Hand 2
I like the way you played it.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:55 AM

The blind structure is 2/3, which allows me to be a little looser. Also, UTG+1 is a littly laggy, which also lets me loosen up a bit.

Also, BB in hand one was 59/15/1, but folded about 60% of his flops. I figured a 3bet pf would only inflate the pot with a hand that may not have the equity (vs an A high), and poor position. Also, since BB is folding so many flops, his money is usually dead.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm capping the flop on hand 1.

After seeing what he showed down I'm calling every street on hand 2. No way I'm giving him a chance to push me off my hand. Let him bluff away to his hearts content.

[/ QUOTE ]

What benefits do you see to the flop cap?

I chose to call the flop, as a raise there will not remove BB from the pot. Also, it really feels like Kh is no good. By calling, we can see the turn, and c/r UTG+1 again, making BB pay big time for his FD or MP draw.

Hand 2: Raise was the worst. My thinking at the time was that it was weird to donk an ace high flop into the pre flop raiser. so he likely didnt have an ace. However, I was not sure waht broadway he held, so a river bet is tough. I chose to raise the turn for the free SD to punish him for this, but he 3bet, which I read as either 2p or a set. Obviously, I gave this villain too much credit...You are right, that calling down would have been a better use of two bets.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are right, that calling down would have been a better use of two bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this guy, absolutely. There is a time for raising it on the Turn and throwing it away when reraised but this isn't one of them.

As to Hand 1. I cap the flop because we have TPGK and the 2nd nut flush draw. I know that a raise here won't remove BB from the pot, which is why I like raising. I don't want him out. I want him to pay. I feel that we're ahead now and that our chances of staying ahead are good.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:03 AM

I think we have to discount our flush draw, as BB would be less likely to stick around with just a pair or a straight draw on the monotone board. Also, I hold the K, and the Q is out, so the next highest FD would be an Jack, which also seems weird to draw to the J high one card flush.

I think waiting until the turn charges him the max, as if we cap here, we are in a tough spot on a heart turn. Also if the turn is a blank, we bet, he calls easy. But by waiting until the turn, our equity improves (since he has only one card to come), and we can make him pay two big bets.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:56 AM

given his mad play on the prior hand, I think the 30/20/2.5 read is not substantial, and I call down from the 3b in hand 2.

Capping the flop in hand 1 crossed my mind. With the read of the shown down hand, i would next time.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we have to discount our flush draw,

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I'm discounting the 2nd nut flush draw. It would be nice to have the Ace sure, but players at this level will go for the flush with a lot of cards. Why are we in a tough spot if a heart drops on the Turn? 2nd nut flush? Sounds pretty good to me. This isn't a case of waiting for the Turn to raise with a safe card. I want the 4th heart to drop. And if it doesn't we're still good with top pair.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:57 AM

Hmm, this guy is bet/3-betting middle pair on a monotone flop in the first hand. Well, that should give you a read.

On to Hand 2. I believe the play here, based on this valuable read, is to call, call, call. Bet if checked to. Certainly you don't want to get spanked by a better hand, but you also don't want to shut down worse hands. For all we know, this fellow may have picked up a flush draw with the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the turn. I think your idea to "punish" villain isn't really appropriate for this situation. Just let him bet your hand for you. It looks like he's the type that needs to take the initiative. So let him have it.