Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 01:21 AM

Default Dan Negreanu & FCP

My question is why haven't the authorities targeted Dan Negreanu and FullContactPoker? I play occasionally on FCP and it is no secret that Negreanu is the frontman for the entire operation. Looking in the "About FCP" on the website it states that he sold the domain to Big Stack Enterprises and that Negreanu signed on as a "consultant." In his blogs though he constantly talks about the exciting changes that he is bringing to the site etc. Why hasn't Negreanu been targeted? He lives in the U.S. and Big Stack Enterprises owning FCP seems like almost a sham deal since I'd imagine Negreanu gets most of the profits from the site.

Could it be that the authorities are afraid of his mom?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Dan Negreanu & FCP

I imagine him, as well as the FTP guys and whatever were smart enough to sign themselves in deep enough to get cash but shallow enough to avoid any legal penalties, theyre more like mascots than CEO's.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:42 AM

I'll be quite honest. I really like DN, but I could only pray that the gov't would be dumb enough to arrest him. He is one of the top 5 most popular poker players. Arrest him and it will suddenly thrust this whole issue to the front page. It would be a celebrity news frenzy. It would bring so much unwanted heat to this issue, that they are trying to slide under the door, that I don't think it would have a fat chance in hell of passing.

So I say again, please arrest Dn. To bad he would have to be a sacrificial anode though.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:42 AM

I guess Doyle would be another applicable example in the case of Doyle's Room.

I thought that in the case of businesses and ownership contracts that the "law" can see through such ownership schemes and be able to prosecute those associated with such "illegal" businesses.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:49 AM

Bilgefisher - good point, one that I didn't even contemplate. In that case - maybe I should *tip* off the authorities and demand his arrest.

Just picture Doyle in cuff's being led out of the Bellagio - I believe Vegas would riot in protest.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Arrest him and it will suddenly thrust this whole issue to the front page. It would be a celebrity news frenzy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think frenzy is an serious overstatement. Poker players are niche celebrities in the US. Walk around a major city and ask random passersby, "Do you know who Daniel Negranu is?" and I'd be surprised if more than a few of them could tell you that he plays poker.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:17 AM

You might be right - but I know my grandmother knows who he is, and she's no online poker player.

Believe it or not, there's a ton of online poker players that still have no clue that the Senate is trying to pass anti-onling gambling legislation. This would surely throw it in the spotlight.

The more people we get to realize that the government is tryign to one over it's citizens the better, whether they play poker or not.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:16 AM

To add to that...alot of people that don't play poker online still don't like being told what they can and cannot do with their own money in the privacy of their own home. Especially if its allowed publically in 48 of 50 states.

You may be right, it may not be a media frenzy, but I can almost guarantee that you would see some sort of blip on every major TV station in the country.

You arrest some joe shmoe from betonsports, no one really cares or takes notice. You arrest someone like Doyle or DN and heads will turn. I would also argue that each of these players are more of a household name then you give credit for.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:00 AM

i think it is important to remember that the arrests of other site's executives involved thier acceptance of wagers from us citizens on sports events. this is where we as poker players run into a problem if we were able to detach ourselves from sports gambling i believe this pending law would not be such a priority but since they want to lump all online gambling together it is hurting poker players. but to answer your question doyle's room and fcp don't accept wagers on sporting events and therefore the dept of justice is not as likely to go after their executives.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:20 AM

At some point if this doesn't stop they will go after these name players, if not for being directly involved, the as promoting un-lawful activity.

Be careful what you wish for