Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 03:27 AM

Default Any way to get away from this stud 8 hand? (.50/1, stars)

Tough hand, but obviously not going to fold on the river. Any warning signs I should have heeded before getting to the showdown? Fourth street may have been a little marginal with the dead 4, but I felt I had the ace, pair and three-low so could see fifth. Perhaps a bet would have been in order on fifth, hoping to eliminate the K9A board?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05 (converter)

Seat 1: $14.10
Seat 2: $28.70
Hero: $10.65
Seat 4: $13.60
Seat 5: $22.40
Seat 6: $41.30
Seat 7: $17.05
Seat 8: $44.95

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.80 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.40 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.40 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.40 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls

Total pot: (21.40 BB)

Results:
Total pot $21.40 | Rake $1

Hero: [6s Ac 4c 4d 7d 3h 5h] (HI: a straight, Three to Seven; LO: 6,5,4,3,A)

Seat 5: [3d 8h 2d Ah 9h 5d 6h] (HI: high card Ace; LO: 6,5,3,2,A)

Seat 6: [Js Jc Kd 9c Ad Ts Qh] (HI: a straight, Ten to Ace)
Old 01-02-2006, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Any way to get away from this stud 8 hand? (.50/1, stars)

I would probably raise 3rd.

I'd get worried on the river after 2 raises, you might be able to save a bet but seat 5 is probably raising it anyways.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:01 AM

Keep more than 10 BB in front of you.

I would probably have been more aggressive with this hand. In particular, I would probably have bet out on fifth. But you're screwed. There is just no getting away from this hand. Maybe you don't cap the river yourself, but it's going to get there anyway. Sometimes, you're just destined to lose a hand.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:21 AM

4th:Seat 5 might be going for high.A lot of time when people come in for the FBI,they have a high pair in the hole.Still, you're trying to hit 2 low cards out of 3 draws to chop up the money that the high loser drops.I would just fold it at this point.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep more than 10 BB in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this deserves repeating. I repeatedly see you sitting with only 10 bbs. A winning player such as yourself should have enough to cover all bets on all streets. do yourself a favor and buy in for 20.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:56 PM

Seat 5's ace on 4th street is a terrible card for you. If you're ahead with a pair of 4s (he has a strong low draw), you have a very large chance of being outdrawn on a later street. If you're behind a pair of aces (or a pair in the hole), you've got a huge playing disadvantage. I think you've got to muck it on 4th.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:24 PM

Paul has written a book in which his recommended buy-in is $40 in a $2/4 game.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:19 PM

Fold fourth. You are behind in both directions and the pot is still small. THe BI brought it in for a completion which means he has something good and now he just caught the best card in the deck. Jump now.

Mike