Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Friday\'s Fun

I guess I should have raised the flop here? Given I did not, is the river call OK?

Villan is a maniac - 75/3 over 30 hands

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 09-22-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Friday\'s Fun

I like to raise the flop here because you don't mind so much if you get 3-bet. Then you can get a free card and might force SB to play honestly. As played, versus a maniac, I think it's fine to call down. Is your read based on stats or observation?

It's not really easy because the straight draw arrived on the turn. I suppose he could have Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or something like that. He could be betting a hand like J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] which hit on the river. Regardless, I just call the river and pray.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:07 PM

75/3 does not mean maniac, it means loose passive. This player likely only bets and raises with very strong hands, so I like the call on the flop (rather than raise). I'd fold the river, as you're really not ahead of much of anything. Most missed draws have at least a pair here anyway so you're not looking to be in good shape.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:22 PM

i like raising the flop, though you realized this in hindsight.

given the call there, a calldown can be appropriate vs this guy.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
75/3 does not mean maniac, it means loose passive.

[/ QUOTE ]
PF, yeah.

[ QUOTE ]
This player likely only bets and raises with very strong hands,

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, pf. We have no indication of his postflop play other than "maniac," which means he can go nuts with tons of holdings.

[ QUOTE ]
so I like the call on the flop (rather than raise).

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't we have an equity edge against just about anything other than set/straight/flush here? Aren't we going to realize our edge 100% of the time? Even against those super-strong hands, we're decent, so I absolutely agree with whoever said we don't mind getting 3bet. Sometimes (most times) we even welcome it because this guy's a spazz.

Furthermore, if this guy is as passive postflop as he is preflop, we're going to have the option of checking behind on the turn a ton of the time. I'm normally in the crowd that thinks the free card play is overused and sucky and that the aggression is too ramped up in general around here, but I think raising the flop is a pretty good play in this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold the river, as you're really not ahead of much of anything. Most missed draws have at least a pair here anyway so you're not looking to be in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 PM

What's his post-flop agression number? Knowing that might help here.

If he will ever fold a pair, then raise on some street. You have an equity edge on the flop and good bluffing opportunities on the turn (representing an 8) or the river (representing AJ) - but only if he might fold.

If you don't think he'll fold a pair, just fold the river when you miss all your draws.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:25 AM

I don't think he's got any sort of FE at all here unless villian is on complete air himself.