Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Interesting hand from Day 1 EPT London

This hand happened about 30 minutes into the first level of Day 1 (60 min blind levels). All relevant stacks are t10, 000.

Utg+1, who is an older European (weak/tight is my read) limps. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the cutoff, and after not playing many pots in the first couple orbits, decide to make it t225. A youngish Scandinavian (who has been tight so far) calls from the SB, and the limper comes along. Pot t675 to the flop.

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. About as pretty as I could ask for. The SB leads for t600, utg+1 folds. This lead, in my live experience, is a big 7, a weakfish – over pair (considering his PF flat call OOP), or a diamond draw. Against this range, I think I am fine, & I have position, so I decide to raise to t1600. SB tanks for 20-30 seconds, and calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks. I believe this to be a great card for a second barrel, since it more than likely missed his holdings, and he will (in my opinion) fold any pair from 88-QQ. If he decides to call, I have a zillion outs, and there is a slim chance he will call w/ a lower flush draw, in which case I'm golden. I bet t2200, into a t3875 pot. SB again tanks for 20-30, and calls.

River is the pretty 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], giving me the ace high flush. SB leads for 3500, which represents almost 2/3 of your remaining stack.

What’s your play, and why.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand from Day 1 EPT London

Just put the rest in. If SB has anything other than utter trash, he's pot committed, so every legitimate hand you beat will have to call.

I think maximizing our value here is much better than calling and leaving the remaining $$ in his stack when we win. If he made 7's full on the flop (or 2's full with 72o!! lol), that's just life.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 PM

It sure seems like he might be Hollywooding a flopped boat here. But I think you have to call. I don't think reraise here as you do leave yourself a few chips if he does have 77.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:14 PM

Wow, IMO, tough spot first hand you play in a big event like this. Thing is, I like your train of thought the entire way through, but the turn is what throws me off. I feel like if it were me here I would be thinking that even though the turn card is a excellent card for you to represent, what does it tell about your hand? On the flop, you were doing a standard raise to a guy who led out into a multi-way pot OOP, so he's letting you know right here he's obviously not scared and he's definetely not trying to pick up the pot. His hand range here is A2s, A7s, and 33-QQ (excluding 77). So, by raising his flop bet, your letting him know that you have a pocket pair probably TT+. When he over calls your raise, he is immediately telling you, alright either I don't beleive you and i'm going to call you with the hand range we put him on or he's calling OOP with a flush draw (which if you put this guy on TAG in the first few orbits, we can assume this is unlikely). So, the turn hits a off-suit King. I think when he checks to you on the turn, it gives you a good opportunity to check behind. When you bet the turn and he shoves, can you call? No. Your not giving up on your hand, but letting him know that alright I might be scared of the King too, but it may have filled me up, as opposed to firing out again and giving him mixed signals as to your flop representation. On the turn he can only put you on AA or a lucky AK, but he can also throw you off your hand if he doesn't believe either of those two. If you check behind, it lets you get a free river in which the 9d comes. With the pot being smaller and his hand range narrowing down, when he fires out for 3/4 pot on the river, a flat call will be fine at this point in the tournament because he's again not going to try to pick up the pot on a river bluff and 99 was a hand in that range that would fire at that river so if you raise all-in, your turning your hand in to a bluff. If he doesn't fire at the river, a half pot value bet would be optimum. It sets up both your image that your not just putting it in with anything and it allows you to gain the information that you need, without going bust.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:18 PM

nice analysis, but by betting the turn, i get him to fold 88-QQ, which more than likely i will not be able to beat at showdown
Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 PM

Very interesting hand. I'm quite curious to find out what you did, and what he had!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:30 PM

Not always JJ-QQ. Scand puts you on AK based on turn action. Reps or has smaller flush perhaps. Flatcall's OK here.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:33 PM

just get it in there on the river. Did he bet the river quickly, or did the diamond hit and he contemplated what to do for a while. The quicker he put it in there, the quicker I jam. But I probably jam anyway.

The turn decision is pretty interesting and I think it's pretty close between checking behind w/ your super draw against his range/getting to showdown or betting to get him off what is likely something like 88-TT.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:37 PM

PF I see him playing middle/small pairs this way and maybe suited broadway cards.

When he calls your turn bet that likely eliminates all the pairs except 77. More likely he has KdQd or Kd Jd. The turn made his hand 'too good to fold.'

I thinks its one of the other, either a flopped full with 77 or or lower flush. More likely the latter, so stick it in there, he'll pay you off.

If it's 77, so be it.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:45 PM

would he really bet out on the 722 flop w/ 77???

yikes