Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Check engine light on a 95 protege

My wife has a 95 Mazda Protege with 65k miles. Despite the relatively low mileage, it's a piece of crap that we want to get rid of.

Recently the check engine light came on. The car continues to run as well as it did before. I'm 75% sure it's the oxygen sensors or emission control devices that's causing the light. If that's the case, we'd probably not fix it. But, could it be a semi-clogged fuel filter or something else important? The maintenance records are spotty, and I'm not sure if the fuel filter has ever been changed.

I don't want to go to a dealership and pay $100 just for them to hook it up to the computer and read out the code. Is there somewhere else I can go to get a readout, or is there another way I can tell what's wrong?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Check engine light on a 95 protege

I think that autozone (and probably other auto parts stores) will read the code for free.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Check engine light on a 95 protege

Yes, these cars are piles of horse dung and you should dump it ASAP.

If there are no drivability symptoms it might be ok to drive short term, but it may a sign of problems on the horizon.

AZ will SCAN your car and tell you what the code is. THIS IS NOT A DIAGNOSIS. They are just trying to sell parts. What will happen is the kid will read the code, then look it up in the book that will explain what it is and what it relates to. Then he will guess at what is the cause is and try to sell you something. He will do this for free, however.