Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 05:22 PM

Default protecting my hand

Hi!

Im trying to understand the concept of "protecting my hand". I read the 2+2 book "small stakes holdem". It suggests that when the pot is big, it is sometimes correct to check and try to make the person to the right of you make a raise that you can reraise. The purpose is to make persons with gutshots and other weak draws fold. If the person with a gutshot does not fold, it is even better because he makes a mistake.

What i do not understand is why it is better to let the person with a gutshot face a double bet, than to let him face two single bets. The money in the pot at the turn will be exactly the same if he makes the mistake of calling the double bets. If the person with gutshot faces two small bets he is more inclined to make a mistake and call both of them. If he faces a two bet raise he is more likely to make the correct choise and fold.

So, why is it not correct to check-raise to protect your hand when the likely raiser is to your left? Making the persons with weak draws make the error of calling two single bets?

Is it better to make the gutshot person make a correct fold than to make him do two "correct" calls that together is "incorrect" ?

I guess it has something to do with the existing money in the pot, but i need some help form you guys to gather my thoughts here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: protecting my hand

Because when the pot is large, someone with a gutshot will have the 1:10 odds he needs to make a call with one bet. If there is a bet, he calls and there is another bet he still has not made a mistake because each time he has been offered 1:10 on his gutshot draw.

By check raising you made it two bets, greatly decreasing his odds thus almost always making it incorrect for him to call.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:04 PM

One key point to remember in a large pot is that a player who folds, even when he folds correctly, gives up his equity in that pot to the remaining players. In the case of large pots this gain in pot equity can exceed the gain from an incorrect call.

That's why it's important for the pot to be large when attempting this. If the pot is too small then you would gain more from an incorrect call then from a fold.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:38 PM

Hmm. To simplify, is this scenario possible in a heads up game?

I mean, if the opponent makes an incorrect call, he makes a bad call when we compare the size of the pot to the odds he has of winning. He looses more if he calls than when he folds in these cases.

If he loose money, I would gain the same amount, wouldn't I?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:58 AM

Default Let me clarify

You're absolutely right!
You would rather have that gutshot put in two bets incorrectly than fold correctly. The problem is that if you bet right out, there is no guarantee that it will get raised. He may call one bet corretly and never put in another one (on this round). You're trying to induce your opponent to make a mistake, or failing that, fold. Also, you have to consider the turn action. If you make the pot too large on the flop, they could be getting odds for a gutshot on the turn. Often, the best play is a checkraise, even if you know they will make the correct play and fold.

Furthermore, henceforth, and wheretofore, situations can arise where you can get an opponent to fold INCORRECTLY for two bets. Example: you are first with TT on a flop of 982. You checkraise the button who has A9. QJ will have a tough time calling, even though he should, if he could see what you were holding.

-MD
Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Let me clarify

[ QUOTE ]
Often, the best play is a checkraise, even if you know they will make the correct play and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't c/r they will be able to correctly call and if you do c/r their call will be incorrect. I'd much rather them correctly fold, than correctly call, but I'm happiest when they incorrectly call.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Let me clarify

It woudn't be correct for them to call one bet if you KNEW it was going to be raised behind them (unless it's correct for them to call two bets cold anyway).

-MD