Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 12:48 PM

Default 30/60 HORSE: Super sketchy stud/8

I couldn't resist calling on 3rd closing the action, but was I right to do so? I'm thinking I should just fold even for so cheap. Comments anywhere on hand are welcome, I probably did pretty awful.
HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (1.70 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.35 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises

6th Street - (14.35 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (20.35 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (23.35 BB)
Old 09-21-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: 30/60 HORSE: Super sketchy stud/8

wow you got totally raped on 5th.

why on earth do you call on 6th and 7th if i might ask? clearly a 78 low is not winning the low.

if this were myself, i would fold on 5th when its 2 more to me.. spewage.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:11 PM

It looks like 10/20 to me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think third's kinda mediocre even with the two flush because you're getting bet into every single time on fourth in this game unless you pair the nine, and maybe even then. If the 7 or 8 was your upcard I can see it.

Fold fifth for 2 bets, you're playing for half and there's no reason to go on. Fold sixth for two bets, too.

A call on seventh is pretty mandatory, but by that point, you're a billion Sklansky bucks in the hole.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:13 PM

2 dead 6s and a dead J on 5th with a basically dead 87 runner runner low draw. I dont think I could call 2 big bets, knowing a cap is probably on the way. I don't really play this game that often though...
Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 PM

With a 5, 6, 7, and a 9 gone on third, I wouldn't play this hand in high-only stud, let alone stud/8.

Fold third. Fold fifth.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:32 PM

Having the 9 up cripples your ability to play this hand.

It would have been an ok call with a 7 or 8 up.

You should have folded 5th if thought you could have gotten jammed.

But once you get past 5th...you are locked in
Old 09-21-2006, 04:08 PM

although your getting good odds on 7th, I don't think you can pull away with the lo enough with that really rough 8

5th street is a really hard spot. I want to say fold when it's 3bet to ya, seat 3 liking what looks like a good hi hand, and seat 8 looking like maybe a made 8 + straight draw, probably a gutshot based on 3rd/4th actions. (though that could be my Hi/Lo MUBS talking)
Old 09-21-2006, 06:16 PM

3rd is hard to get away from; calling a raise would be wrong but calling $3 for a shot at a $14 pot might be ok.

Wow, on 5th street you have less than a 1/3 chance for half of the pot. This isn't hard at all; fold when 2 more bets come to you.

After 5th you're probably stuck in it. A desparation call on 7th is worth it since the bringin might have aces in the hole or something, plus you'll feel really bad if you don't call and could have won half. If anyone has a low, you lose, but oh well. The bringin stopped raising on 6th, which is weird for a made low since there is no other low draw on board.

Seat 3 played rather aggressively but didn't raise on 3rd, which is weird unless he had trip kings or something.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:41 PM

Todd Brunson says that 789 with two suited is playable, but I disagree. Brunson's career winnings are probably greater than mine by a couple of orders of magnitude, so take that for what it's worth. With a Six and a Five gone, however, I think that third is a clear fold.

With two Sixes and a Jack gone, fifth is an easy fold, especially the second time around.

Having made it to the river, I think you have to call for one more bet.