Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Battle of the Blinds 1/2 6-max

Stats on Villian 25.6/15.9/2.38 207 hands
Reads: Very aggro on drawing hands

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB
Old 09-20-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Battle of the Blinds 1/2 6-max

The flop is spew. Just call this bet. You have nothing to protect here.

Raising is bad, but capping to the 3-jack is truly horrible.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:27 PM

This is fine. SB is presumably capable of firing at a flop like this with anything, so the initial raise is standard. I don't mind the cap given your read.

Taking the free card on the turn is fine. This is the interesting street IMO because I could see betting this with the intention of checking down on the river UI. The way you played it pretty much commits you to calling a bet on the river.

I don't see any value betting the river, so I like the check there. If he was drawing, he's not calling. If he wasn't drawing, he has you beat.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:31 PM

Flop raise is fine, flop cap is bad. You only have the second worst middle pair and absolutely no kicker. He could be betting overcards or a flush draw (you're not in spectacular shape either way), or maybe he has a pocket pair (you're behind). I'd just call the 3-bet and see what he does on the turn. If he checks, you bet; he bets, you call.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the cap given your read.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands does he bet with here that you beat? What hands does he bet-3-bet here that you beat?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands does he bet with here that you beat? What hands does he bet-3-bet here that you beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Players with SB's stats will bet this flop with any deuce, any four, any ace, any two clubs, and possibly any two overcards. Hero is ahead of SB a lot and he would like to get the third guy out.

As far as the cap goes, Hero's read is that SB is very aggro with draws. This board is pretty drawy, so I'm not willing to concede that we're behind. And capping will sometimes get us a free card.

(No, I'm not saying that we should be constantly be capping for free cards, just that it's something to consider when the decision is otherwise debatable).
Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Players with SB's stats will bet this flop with any deuce, any four, any ace, any two clubs, and possibly any two overcards. Hero is ahead of SB a lot and he would like to get the third guy out.

As far as the cap goes, Hero's read is that SB is very aggro with draws. This board is pretty drawy, so I'm not willing to concede that we're behind. And capping will sometimes get us a free card.

(No, I'm not saying that we should be constantly be capping for free cards, just that it's something to consider when the decision is otherwise debatable).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're capping in this spot based on this read, you should *NEVER* take a free card.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:48 PM

No hand that UTG could reasonably have that could call correctly if we called would fold if we raised.

It's silly to protect your equity in a pot this small against a player who is likely folding (or calling incorrectly) anyway.

Your hand just isn't strong enough to raise the flop for value even if SB goes hard on draws.

Also, that he goes hard on draws doesn't mean is retarded. His 3-bet here is def. bad news for us.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're capping in this spot based on this read, you should *NEVER* take a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure about that.

In this particular case, it would seem like you need to consider villain's propensity to check/raise the turn (which, unfortunately, we're going to have to pay off) if we do happen to be behind, and also whether villain might bluff the river if we check behind. And whether villain will call a river raise if we were behind the whole time but catch our straight on the river.

This turn is a complex decision IMO, especially given how Hero played the flop. If we didn't have the straight outs, I agree that this would be a clear bet the way Hero played it, but it seems to me that those extra outs ought to change things a bit.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, that he goes hard on draws doesn't mean is retarded. His 3-bet here is def. bad news for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the 3-bet is exactly what you would expect from somebody who goes a little overboard on draws. I mean, *everybody* is leading this flop with a flush draw or oesd, right? That's standard. 3-betting is overdoing it, but that's exactly our read on villain.