Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Q9s from the BB

I haven't posted a hand in awhile, so I thought I'd throw this one out to see if it generates any discussion. I tend to lean towards not folding when a large pot is developing. Where do you think I made mistakes in this hand? Should I have gotten away from this hand anywhere?

UTG+1 is 44/4/.5
MP2 is 19/5/1
MP3 is 94/19/.25
CO is 23/11/2

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

<font color="green">I'm getting 6.5:1 on the initial call, thinking that at least 2 of the limpers would come along. On the 2nd call, I'm getting 6.75:1 this time thinking that everyone will come along. Should I have folded when it was 2 back to me? </font>

Flop: (20.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

<font color="green">I try to isolate the PF capper with my top pair in this big pot, but obviously that doesn't work. By the time it comes back around again, I just don't think I can fold my TP+BDFD here.</font>

Turn: (20.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

<font color="green">The turn I feel is pretty straight forward. The turn doesn't help my hand, but I feel tied to this pot. Anyone disagree? </font>

River: (26.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

<font color="green">Ok, now I've improved my hand. How do I proceed? </font>
Old 09-20-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Q9s from the BB

Raising this flop is pretty pointless because nobody is folding anything. All you're doing is further tying people to the pot and giving CO a chance to 3-bet, which he did.

I think you're beaten by at least a bigger two pair but more likely a set. But I guess you have to see a showdown if it's only one bet to you.

The fact that "Hero" is already in red makes me fear that you did something foolish like betting the river.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:29 PM

I think I would have folded to the initial raise. With two limpers in the pot already, I'm less inclined to think CO is raising light. Your risk of domination here is too great IMO. Still, not a horrible call.

As played, yes I would fold when it is 2 back to me.

That flop betting is just ugly. I don't mind your raise, or calling CO's 3-bet and it is hard to fold for the 4th bet, but I think it is check/fold UI time on the turn.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:35 PM

Preflop: the first call is good, the second one is a little sketchy.

Flop: I think the check-raise for hand protection was good on this flop. The 3-bet and the cap suck, though, and you are probably WB with only a few outs.

Turn is the street I'm not crazy about as it's almost definitely gonna get raised after you call. By this point the pot is huge, though you likely have at best 3 outs.

The river card is nice, but I still check-call given the flop action. You're still dead to a set or QJ, which are both possible ehre.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:00 PM

:grunch:

Preflop:
I call CO's bet from the BB, however once it has got around and MP3 decides to 3-bet and CO caps, I'm folding due to the fact that I'm verry easily dominated.

Flop:
I like the check raise and I'd call UTG's cap. Entering call down mode.

Turn:
I'm still calling down here, considering the size of the pot

River:
The river gives you two pair, however it puts a 3-straight out there, however I'm not worried about the straight here, due to the cap PF and 3-bet PF (making T8 and KT unlikely)

I'm feeling that either a big pair or a set of Jacks or sevens, I'm betting because the big pair is more likely than a set.

either that or go for a cheap showdown, i'm not entirely sure here.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The river card is nice, but I still check-call given the flop action. You're still dead to a set or QJ, which are both possible ehre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that KT would probably come along for the ride as well.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
:Preflop:I call CO's bet from the BB, however once it has got around and MP3 decides to 3-bet and CO caps, I'm folding due to the fact that I'm verry easily dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 13:2 immediate odds (and likely 18:2 since your call helps everyone else's odds(, I don't think you can fold any 2 suited, much less a hand with straight potential, too.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
:Preflop:I call CO's bet from the BB, however once it has got around and MP3 decides to 3-bet and CO caps, I'm folding due to the fact that I'm verry easily dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 13:2 immediate odds (and likely 18:2 since your call helps everyone else's odds(, I don't think you can fold any 2 suited, much less a hand with straight potential, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I was thinking at the time, but I still wasn't sure if I should have gotten away from this hand when it was 2 back to me.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that KT would probably come along for the ride as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the flop action I thought it was pretty unlikely.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to lean towards not folding when a large pot is developing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should re-evaluate your play. I wouldn't fold either preflop, but the way you played this postflop suggest you can't get away fast enough from dominated hands.