Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Hero donks the turn w/ TP+FD

No reads on the villain.

Likey, or no likey?

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...</font>
Old 09-20-2006, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Hero donks the turn w/ TP+FD

C/R flop?

As played definitely lead turn.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 AM

I don't know, I think I like a turn checkraise here. You are ahead a lot of the time, and headsup, your opponent is likely to bet again on the turn regardless of what he has. I think you win more money if you are ahead, by checkraising, and if you are behind, you probably have 10-11 outs, and occasionally ( not often ) , a weak tight player will put you on a four, and laydown a better hand.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I like a turn checkraise here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 AM

You called from the blind so you could have a 6, a straight draw or a flush draw. Against the range of hands he is likely to put you on the raiser is likely to bet the turn again even if he just has overcards so you should let him do so IMO. By betting you miss out making money when he has a big ace or medium pocket pair that you are now in front of.

Its not believable you have a four with the donk bet as you would have checkraised the flop or tried for a checkraise on the turn. you are defining your hand as a jack with this bet. He has an easy laydown when he's beat and an easy call or raise when he has a stronger jack or overpair, and you miss out on his money those times he is bluffing.

I like the check raise on the turn. At least you collect one big bet off him when he's bluffing, and he is less likely to 3 bet with a better hand because you called from the blind and have now check raised the turn so he should have some concern you have trip fours. And, if he is ahead, you probably have at least 9 outs, and possibly more...
Old 09-20-2006, 05:12 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Checkraise the flop and checkraise the turn.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:26 AM

What I like about this line:

-You're actually representing a 4 with this play, which will cause him to fold overcards nearly 100% of the time to your donk.
-If you aren't ahead, you are unlikely to be raised anyway, and have a good amount of outs to win with.
-This line is very unlikely to be construed as a flush draw, which could result in your getting paid off (or getting in a river c/r if he does raise the turn) when you get the spade.

What I don't like about this line:

-Your opponent does not have the proper odds to draw to two overs (unless he's also suited to spades), so you don't want him to fold.
-When you are best, you're almost never getting called.
-Checking the turn is very likely to induce a bet from a worse hand, as he puts you on a draw.

So yeah...while I would also have check/raised the flop, given that you didn't I would definitely have gone for the c/r on the turn. Where I would like this line is if you did not hit top pair on the turn, as in that case you would want overcards to fold.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checkraise the flop and checkraise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this. And the spade river!